There’s a new documentary airing in the United Kingdom on January 8 called “Apocalypse Cow: How Meat Killed the Planet,” that looks at how meat has damaged the planet, synthetic meat and how agriculture could be changed for the better.
George Monbiot, an environmental activist and vegan, made the film to expose the meat industry and share new methods for producing meat. According to the Daily Mail, Monbiot visits scientists in Helsinki that create food made from bacteria and water. The company, Solar Foods, claims they can supply protein to anyone.
Monbiot says in the film that half of the United Kingdom’s land surface is used for livestock and grass. Replacing traditional animal products with protein made by Solar Foods would use less emissions and water, according to the filmmaker. In a Guardian opinion article released the same day as the film, Monbiot writes that lab grown food will replace traditional food. Monbiot tasted the flour used in the lab and had a pancake made for him by scientists.
The United Nations has warned us that we need to reduce our dependence on meat. They also urged people to reduce their dairy and meat intake by opting for more plant-based foods as one way to take climate action. We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is one of the largest plant-based app to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Watch the trailer for Apocalypse Cow: How Meat Killed the Planet
Sign this petition asking political and influential leaders on environmental issues to acknowledge the impact of factory farming on the planet!
Read more about how meat production impacts the planet:
- Why Reducing Meat Consumption Is the Easiest Step Everyone Can Take to Fix Our Broken Food System
- Landmark UN Report Urges World’s Governments to Recommend Cutting Down on Meat Consumption
- 5 Easy Ways to Cut Down on Your Meat Consumption
- Mad Cow Disease and Meat Consumption
- Meat Consumption: The Downward Spiral Continues
- New Report Provides Alarming Facts About Meat and Dairy Production
- Study Finds Environmental Impact of Meat Versus Vegetables is Staggering
- 10 Scary Facts About Meat and the Environment
- People Have NO CLUE That Eating Meat is Destroying the Environment
- Meat and Its Impact on the Environment: Should We Blame Farmers or Meat Eaters?
- Beef Industry Linked to Catastrophic Deforestation for Great Barrier Reef Catchments
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- Scientists Call for Cuts to Deforestation to Protect the Planet – Here’s How You Can Help With Your Food Choices
- WOW! Photo Reveals the Shocking Link Between Animal Agriculture and Deforestation
- Amazon Is Reaching a Point of No Return Thanks to Deforestation – Here’s What You Can Do Right NOW to Save It
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is Largely to Blame
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!