There is a growing number of animals being teased and tortured on video on social media, according to a new report by the Social Media Animal Cruelty Coalition (SMACC).
Source: Animals Saver/Youtube
SMACC is a section of Asia for Animals organization and the new report revealed that between February and May 2022, 200 videos depicting animals being tortured by teasing were shared on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube.
The spotlight report called “Teasing as Torture” is the first in a series of reports from SMACC on animal cruelty across social media platforms. The report found that macaque monkeys were in 69 percent of videos, which makes them the most popular victims of the growing trend of this abuse.
The teasing seen in the videos caused the animals psychological distress and physical harm. Animals have been recorded as they’re being starved, physically abused, and made to perform various humiliating tasks.
Animal cruelty is prohibited on all social media platforms, however, it often still ends up on the platforms. Youtube was recently sued over videos of animal abuse. Videos of people torturing animals have remained on platforms for months and SMACC says that the platforms are not doing enough to take these videos down.
SMACC has been trying to work with these media giants to tackle the rise in animal cruelty videos, but it has been very difficult.
“SMACC has yet to receive any response from all but one company and the coalition states that even securing a dialogue with the platforms has been extremely difficult,” SMACC said in a press release.
With contemporary society’s fixation on gaining popularity on social media, people often take drastic measures to gain views and “likes” across various websites. This could be tolerable if not for the fact that many of these people exploit animals to reach a sense of pseudo-celeb status. It is never ok to use an animal for entertainment, and we hope that these platforms will finally do what’s right and do something about these emerging videos!
Read more below to learn about how animals are abused for entertainment and why this is extremely inhumane:
- Kendall Jenner Kneeling on Back of Horse for Halloween Fashion Photo is Disgraceful
- Jason Momoa Recklessly Feeds Cookie to a Bear from his Mouth as Publicity Stunt to Promote Movie
- The Do’s and Don’ts: Your Handy Guide To Animal Entertainment
- Horrifying Video of Monkey Dressed Like a Little Girl and Begging Shows Why Animals Don’t Belong as Entertainment
- Animals Who Escaped Captivity and What They Teach Us About the Consequences of Entertainment
- BREAKING: Los Angeles Bans Use of Wild Animals for Entertainment!
- How We’ve Manipulated Animals for Entertainment
- Empty the Cages! How We’re Fighting for the Freedom of Animals Used for Entertainment
- Booking.com No Longer Sells Tickets to Captive Animal Attractions!
- Champion Horse Trainer Charged With Animal Cruelty Shows Horse Racing is Indeed a Cruel Sport
- How Social Media Is Impacting These 4 Endangered Species
- Backlash After Social Media Influencers Irresponsibly Pose with Monkeys for Marketing Campaign
- ‘Hunting Influencer’ Kills Animals and Shows Off Photos and Videos on Social Media
- This Woman Locked Her Dog in a Washing Machine to Get More Social Media Followers
- This YouTuber Throws Wild Animals on People to Get ‘Likes’ on Social Media — Let’s Stop This Now!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!