Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Jeffree Star, James Charles, and other influencers are under fire after posing with monkeys to promote a fashion brand. The company Bananas Monkeys tapped stars to pose with a baboon and capuchin monkey as part of a marketing campaign.
Source: Chocolate Bunny/Youtube
The brand sent the animals to the influencers’ houses for them to pose with, and post photos to their own social media. Critics called out the influencers for the behavior on Twitter and other platforms.
Jeffree Star: My makeup brand is vegan and cruelty free!!! ⛔️
JEFFREE STAR ALSO: possing with aligator on brand launch, possing with monkeys for fun 👀😭#jeffreestar #bloodmoney #jeffreestarcosmetics #hypocrite pic.twitter.com/8wKTYG1p31
— Lucinda van 't Hull (@LucindavantHul1) November 10, 2020
Animal rights group PETA spoke out against the stunt. “Anyone who cashes in on an industry that separates baby monkeys from their mothers and forces them to endure miserable lives, subjected to cameras and cages, is ugly inside and out,” said Debbie Metzler, PETA Foundation Associate Director of Captive Animal Law Enforcement. PETA submitted a complaint to the US Department of Agriculture to encourage the agency to “investigate these incidents for apparent violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act.”
1. A company called Bananas Monkey sent around a baboon & another monkey with PR boxes for its launch to influencers
Sign this petition to stop using animals as props!
Read more about animals and celebrities in One Green Planet, check out the below articles:
- PETA’s Oscat Awards
- Tommy Lee Speaks Out About Donkeys
- Jason Momoa Under Fire For Feeding Bear
- PETA Speaks Out Against Matt Damon’s New Movie
- PETA Asks HBO To Stop Using Wild Animals in Mark Ruffalo’s New Show
- The Problem with Wildlife Selfies: 10 Times Taking Pictures with a Wild Animal Ended Badly
- Model Who Was Bitten While Posing With Sharks Shows Why We Need to Stop Thinking Animals Are for Selfies
- Woman Grabs Drugged Tiger’s Testicles for a Selfie at a Thai Zoo
- Monkey Forced to Lift Weights and Perform for Tourists
- Chimp Exploited For Entertainment Her Entire Life Was Killed for Trying to Escape
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!