When Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) received an urgent call on Christmas Day about a long-tailed macaque who was victim to electrocution, they knew they needed to act fast. A veterinary clinic in Phetchaburi, Thailand called WFFT after concerned locals found the macaque on the ground under the power lines she had endured high voltage shocks from.
Even though WFFT handles numerous animal rescues, they were shocked to see the severity of injuries this poor girl went through.
She had endured third-degree burns covering most of her body, the majority of her hair was badly burned during the horrific incident. She was rushed straight back to the WFFT Wildlife Hospital for urgent treatment.
Nang Fa, meaning Angel in English, is approximately two years old. She has been with WFFT for two days now and is improving.
Despite improvement, she isn’t entirely out of the woods yet. According to WFFT, the internal damage caused by electrocution is often undetectable for days after the incident.
Because of the rapid urbanization of previous macaque habitat, macaques are forced to coexist in hazardous human-dominated environments, where, unfortunately, accidents like Nang Fa’s happen. According to WFFT, it has been estimated that the global population of macaques is 40 percent lower than it was in the 1980s. Sadly, the drivers for this loss appear to be human actions, habitat loss, degradation, and exportation for the biomedical industry are among the key factors. If we hope to preserve this wild species, it is imperative that we treat every individual with the utmost care and respect. Luckily, Nang Fa is in great hands with the WFFT, and we can only hope that if she recovers fully, she can return to the wild.
Please join us in sending well wishes for a full recovery for Nang Fa. For more information on the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand and how you can help, please click here.
All Image Source: Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand/Facebook