Zoos are popular places for people of all ages to visit. But zoos do more harm than good. For many reasons, zoos should be closed.
According to conservationist Damian Aspinall, zoos claim that they are helpful for conservation. But many animals in zoos are not endangered or under threat. Showing animals in conservation is not an especially large part of zoo program, according to Aspinall. Conservation is use as useful in schools or other places. His estimates put 1% of zoo visitors as enthusiastic about conservation.
Zoos are made for humans, not animals. Cages in zoos are designed to furnish the best viewing experience for people. The cages lack privacy and space. Animals are often under stressful conditions. According to PETA, animals needs are often overlooked. They are not given ample room to exercise or for mental stimulation. According to Outside, the average lifespan of an elephant in captivity is 17 years, 39 years shorter than elephants in the wild.
Many zoos say they play important roles in breeding animals. But this breeding just perpetuates animals for zoos. And often, animals held in zoos cannot be released back into the wild due to learned zoo behaviors.
Zoos were created in a time before television, before nature documentaries and extensive travel. Seeing animals on tv or in documentaries in their natural habitat is a real educational tool. It’s time to stop pretending zoos are useful tools for conservation and animal well-being. They are not.
Zoos are harmful to wildlife and do not help with conservation efforts, as they most commonly publicize. Animals are kept in small habitats and often suffer emotional distress. Sign this petition to call for a ban on zoos around the world!
We have compiled a list of articles to help you learn abut why zoos are not happy places for animals. It’s time to boycott zoos in 2020!
- What Keeping Polar Bears in Zoos and Aquariums Does to These Animals Will Shock You
- Zookeeper Attacked by Tiger is Further Proof that Wild Animals Don’t Belong in Captivity
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
- Top 5 Misleading Claims Zoos Make
- How Superstitions and Myths Affect Animal Conservation
- Top 5 Conservation Programs That Help Kids Connect With Animals and Nature
- How Saving Wildlife Benefits Humans – In Ways We Really Need
- 10 Reasons to Skip Your Next Zoo Visit
- 6 Documentaries That Will Change the Way You Think About Animals and the Environment
- 5 Things We Need to Stop Telling Ourselves About Zoos
- Can Zoos Really be the Key to Bringing Endangered Species Back From the Brink?
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!