They will buy and sell rights to kill animals, including elephants and polar bears, and promote canned hunts in the United States, South Africa, and Argentina. 849 exhibitors will show and participate virtually, according to The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
Video Courtesy of the Humane Society of the United States
Kitty Block, president, and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, said, “A pandemic is not slowing down the vile trophy hunting industry and the shameless conventions that celebrate the violent, needless slaughter of wild animals. As millions of people struggle to survive the pandemic, trophy hunters spend millions of dollars on grim globe-trotting trips to shoot beloved, iconic animals for bragging rights and collections of heads to hang on the wall.”
According to HSUS, the following will be available at the virtual convention:
- 849 exhibitors from 32 countries will participate virtually
- 351 of those exhibitors will offer hunting trips to kill 319 species including critically endangered black rhinos, cheetah, brown bears, and kangaroos, in 70 countries
- 183 hunts in 24 countries were donated for auction to kill over 200 animals from leopards to bears
- 16 canned hunts of exotic and native species are up for auction in the U.S.
- The most expensive auction hunt is for a $70,000 desert bighorn sheep in Mexico
- Auction items are expected to generate more than $3.5 million for Dallas Safari Club, which lobbies against wildlife protection measures
Items auctioned include hunting packages that allow customers to hunt at least 319 species across 70 countries. The offerings include hunts for African animals-elephants, rhinos, lions, leopards, and cape buffalos.
Sign this petition to ban trophy hunting in the United States.
Sign these other petitions to stand up against trophy hunting as well:
Check out our resources about trophy hunting:
- Safari Club International Where Donald Trump Jr. Auctioned a Hunt is also Involved in Trading Body Parts of Endangered Animals
- Book Exposes Truth Behind Wildlife Conservation Where Leading Decision Makers are Trophy Hunters Fueling the Big Game Industry
- Donald Trump Jr.’s “Dream Hunt” Auction
- Undercover Footage of Nevada Trophy Hunting Convention Shows Promoting Trips to Shoot Lions
- Five reasons Trophy Hunting is not conservation
- What Actions You Can Take to Stop Trophy Hunting
- 10 Stories Highlighting the Horrors of the Trophy Hunting Industry
- Petition: A Former Trophy Hunting Attorney Was Appointed to Work in Wildlife Conservation
- Federal Government Rolling Back Wildlife Protections to Allow Trophy Hunting on Alaska’s National Preserves and Refuge
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!