Comfort food is amazing and there are times when you just want a hug… in food form. It can be easy to disregard gluten-free as not tasty or just missing that soft, fluffy texture that foods with gluten have. However, it is possible to eat gluten-free and still enjoy comfort foods!
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help you get healthy!
Here are fifteen recipes that are perfect gluten-free comfort foods!
1. Vanilla Sponge Cake With Buttercream Frosting and Strawberry Jam
This Vanilla Sponge Cake With Buttercream Frosting and Strawberry Jam by Holly Jade is moist yet fluffy and delicious with layers of vanilla buttercream and strawberry jam with a coating of light buttercream frosting. The perfect treat for an afternoon tea or special occasion!
2. White Chocolate Lemon Popcorn Truffles
The perfect sweet and salty treat, these white chocolate lemon popcorn truffles are an ode to spring! This White Chocolate Lemon Popcorn Truffles by Kat Condon will satisfy your sweet tooth and your craving for crunchy snacks without being too heavy. The popcorn itself is sturdy but not overly crisp, which yields itself to a really delicious “truffle” center.
3. Roasted Garlic Cheese Fritters
Source: Roasted Garlic Cheese Fritters
These Roasted Garlic Cheese Fritters by Florian Nouh are made with just five ingredients made in only three easy steps. Based on chickpeas, these fritters are also grain-free and can be made oil-free on top of being delicious. These are flavorful, easy, tasty, cheesy, hearty, garlicky, and cheesy. Delicious on their own — just serve them with some sauce for dipping. Or, for a full meal, throw them in a salad or in a wrap with plenty of greens. Countless possibilities, more deliciousness just for you.
4. Black Bean Chili Pot Pie With Cumin Sweet Potato Crust
Nothing says love from the oven quite like pie! Pie is a go-to comfort foods in winter and these hearty little vegetarian morsels are as healthy as can be with fiber-rich black beans, veggies, and a spiced sweet potato crust. Honestly, this Black Bean Chili Pot Pie With Cumin Sweet Potato Crust by Alison Murray is so tasty and spicy that you won’t ever miss a pastry casing, and you’ll feel much better for it too!!
5. Nutella Dessert Pizza
Source: Nutella Dessert Pizza
Nutella. Dessert. Pizza. This may just be one of the greatest creations of all (dessert) history. The Nutella Dessert Pizza by Melina Kutelas for the crust is simple and worth keeping on hand for any other dessert pizzas in your future, but the real star of the show (unsurprisingly) is the homemade vegan Nutella! So spread it generously and garnish this pie with whatever you’d like.
6. Caramelized Banana S’mores Skillet
This Caramelized Banana S’mores Skillet by Emma D’Alessandro is ideal for those who don’t want to start a campfire! This skillet is packed with gooey chocolate and marshmallow goodness. The caramelized bananas keep the s’mores dip from feeling overly indulgent.
7. Grilled Cuban Tofu Sandwich
Source: Grilled Cuban Tofu Sandwich
This Grilled Cuban Tofu Sandwich by Zsu Dever will transport you straight to the winding streets of Havana. The tofu is marinated in a zesty mojo sauce that is just the right mixture of sweet and tangy, then it’s sandwiched between toasty bread that’s stuffed with fresh watercress, bread and butter pickles, spicy mustard, and melty vegan cheese before being grilled to perfection. It is the perfect gluten-free comfort food!
8. Raw Lemon Bars
Source: Raw Lemon Bars
These Raw Lemon Bars by Holly Jade are easy to make and great for feeding your friends because the recipe makes a pretty big batch. Still, you might not want to share! They’re that good. The creamy date base is combined with fresh lemon and coconut to make a winning medley of flavors that will have everybody asking for seconds.
9. Chickpea Cinnamon Rolls
Source: Chickpea Cinnamon Rolls
10. Gluten-Free Mince Pies
Source: Gluten-Free Mince Pies
Christmas isn’t truly here until the mince pies are out. This Gluten-Free Mince Pies by Hayley Canning is so simple to make! This mincemeat filling is amazing, it’s delicious stirred into porridge or coconut yogurt for breakfast. So it may be worth making extra.
11. Apple Pear Cranberry Gingerbread Crisp
This gluten-free vegan Apple Pear Cranberry Gingerbread Crisp by Tara Sunshine is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas feast, or holiday potluck. It’s super easy to make and tastes as delicious as it looks! Bonus is, it’s so healthy that you can serve it for dessert — and then enjoy leftovers for breakfast the next morning! So you may just need to make a double batch!
12. Gluten-Free Ginger Molasses Cookie Skillet
A gooey, soft Gluten-Free Ginger Molasses Cookie Skillet by Taavi Moore…what better way to start off this holiday season with a decadent…holiday cookie (but like 5x bigger)? This Gluten-free Ginger Molasses Cookie Skillet is sweetened with coconut sugar, gluten-free, and of course 100% plant-based. Cut a slice, and top with your favorite vegan ice cream.
13. Vegan Alfredo Cream Sauce
Source: Vegan Alfredo Cream Sauce
This Vegan Alfredo Cream Sauce by Julie Zimmer is nutritiously vegan, light and creamy, and packed with flavour. It’s also easy to make. The only equipment you need is a blender and an oven. If you’re lactose intolerant, vegan or you just want to avoid dairy products, give this recipe a serious go.
14. One Pot Pasta Bake
Source: One Pot Pasta Bake
This One Pot Pasta Bake by James Wythe comes together easily because it’s all in one pot! What could be better? Not only is the flavor amazing, but you’ll feel like you’re eating a fancy pasta dish instead of a one pot meal. The melted cheese takes this recipe to the next level!
15. Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bars
Source: Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bars
These Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bars by Kat Condon allow you to enjoy cinnamon rolls for breakfast – in a healthy, gluten-free way! Made without any refined sugars, these bars are frosted with a subtly sweet cream cheese frosting for the perfect breakfast bite.
Looking for more gluten-free recipes? Check out our The Ultimate Guide To Being Gluten-Free And Vegan!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some great resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.