The perfect sweet and salty treat, these white chocolate lemon popcorn truffles are an ode to spring! It will satisfy your sweet tooth and your craving for crunchy snacks without being too heavy. The popcorn itself is sturdy but not overly crisp, which yields itself to a really delicious "truffle" center.
White Chocolate Lemon Popcorn Truffles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 cups popcorn
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, soft
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 bag vegan white chocolate chips or make your own
- 1 lemon, zested
- Extra lemon zest, for topping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Toss together popcorn and coconut in a large bowl.
- Cream together the coconut oil and maple syrup until smooth. Pour over popcorn mixture, then using your hands, toss to coat well. Place mixture into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to come together.
- Using a spoonful at a time, squeeze popcorn mixture together in your hands until it forms a ball. It's okay if popcorn gets crushed. Wet hands to make handling easier. Place popcorn balls onto the baking sheet.
- Once all of the popcorn has been formed into balls, set in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- While popcorn is chilling, melt your white chocolate chips. Add lemon zest, then stir until smooth and set aside for a few minutes to cool. If chocolate is hot it will melt the coconut oil and the popcorn balls will fall apart.
- Using one at a time, dip the popcorn balls into the white chocolate. Roll around so that it is fully coated, then place back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest. Repeat with remaining popcorn until all have been coated in white chocolate. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.