This grilled Cuban sandwich will transport you straight to the winding streets of Havana. The tofu is marinated in a zesty mojo sauce that is just the right mixture of sweet and tangy, then it's sandwiched between toasty bread that's stuffed with fresh watercress, bread and butter pickles, spicy mustard, and melty vegan cheese before being grilled to perfection.
Grilled Cuban Tofu Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) firm or extra firm tofu, pressed 20 minutes
For the Sandwich:
- 8 slices bread of choice (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese or 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 16 slices bread and butter pickles
- 1 cup watercress
- Add the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, oregano, and salt to a small blender and blend them until they're smooth.
- Cut the tofu into four slabs (about 4x4-inches) and place them in a baking dish.
- Add the marinade and set aside until needed (or at least 30 minutes).
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cheese (or avocado) to four slices of bread.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mustard on the other four slices of bread. Set them aside.
- Grill the tofu slabs until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes per side. Baste the tofu with the marinade as it cooks.
- Add a slab on top of the cheese on the slices of bread. Place one slice of bread with the tofu and one slice of bread with the mustard on the grill pan, cover the pan and cook it until the cheese melts.
- Add 1/4 cup of watercress to the tofu and close the open-faced sandwich.
- Repeat with all the sandwich halves and serve them warm.