The Big Easy lays sole claim to this rum-infused dessert, which was first conceived in 1951 at an upscale New Orleans restaurant. It’s named after Richard Foster of the New Orleans Crime Commission, but these bananas are so wildly good, they must be breaking a law.
Bananas Foster Shooters [Vegan]
12 mini shooters
- 2 tsp. egg replacer
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tsp. safflower oil
- 1 cup unbleached organic flour
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 ounces silken tofu, firm and buzzed
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- ¼ cup soy milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. rum extract (or ½ tsp. rum)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 14 ounces silken tofu
- 2 whole bananas, ripe, diced for purée
- 1 recipe Pudding
- 1 recipe Cake
- 2 whole bananas, sliced thinly
- 12 sprigs fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch cake pan with safflower oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ‘eggs’ with the warm water until fluffy. Takes about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and sift together. Fold in butter, mix will be crumbly using your hands or a fork.
- Place the tofu, oil, soy milk, vanilla extract and rum in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry mix, a little at a time. Mix until the batter is lump free.
- Slowly fold in the fluffy ‘egg’ mix. This will only take 15 seconds. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the toothpick is clean.
- Allow the cake to cool before assembling the shooters.
- Place the soy milk, vanilla, rum and sea salt in a small pan on medium heat.
- Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Once dissolved, remove the pot from the heat and pour the mixture into a blender. Add the tofu and 2 diced bananas. Blend until smooth.
- Allow the pudding to cool before portioning.
- Place 1 tablespoon of pudding in the bottom of each 2-ounce shooter glass.
- Cut the cooled cake into 24 equal cube or round pieces. Place 1 piece of cake on top of the pudding, followed by 2 slices of banana.
- Next, place 1 tablespoon of pudding on top of each banana piece, and follow with 1 piece of cake.
- Finish the shooter with 1 tablespoon of pudding.
- Garnish with a final slice of banana and a fresh sprig of mint.
- Serve immediately—bananas will oxidize and change colors, as bananas do!