Do you love pickles? Well, get ready for your mind to be blown! Simply by combining cucumbers with vinegar, onions, salt, mustard and coriander seeds, and a few other ingredients, you can make sweet, sour, crispy pickles! After you realize how easy it is to make pickles at home, you will never want to buy a jar from the store again.
Quick Bread and Butter Pickles [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Quick Bread and Butter Pickles [Vegan]
- 3-4 pounds of pickling cucumbers, cleaned and sliced about 1-inch thick
- 3 generous tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, optional
- A healthy dash of ground turmeric
How to Prepare Quick Bread and Butter Pickles [Vegan]
- In a big mixing bowl, add the sliced cucumbers and sprinkle in the salt. Mix it all and then cover in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers and rinse thoroughly. Drain as much of the water out as possible. Add in the sliced onions and toss together.
- In a saucepan, heat up the rest of the ingredients until simmering and the sugars have dissolved. Turn off heat.
- In jars, divvy up the cucumbers and onion. Pour the hot vinegar liquid over the vegetables. Allow to cool to room temperature, top it with a lid, and place in the refrigerator.
Pickles will keep for a month, but must be well covered and anytime you pull pickles out, use a clean utensil.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.