Do you love pickles? Well, get ready for your mind to be blown! Simply by combining cucumbers with vinegar, onions, salt, mustard and coriander seeds, and a few other ingredients, you can make sweet, sour, crispy pickles! After you realize how easy it is to make pickles at home, you will never want to buy a jar from the store again.
Quick Bread and Butter Pickles [Vegan]
- 3-4 pounds of pickling cucumbers, cleaned and sliced about 1-inch thick
- 3 generous tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, optional
- A healthy dash of ground turmeric
- In a big mixing bowl, add the sliced cucumbers and sprinkle in the salt. Mix it all and then cover in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers and rinse thoroughly. Drain as much of the water out as possible. Add in the sliced onions and toss together.
- In a saucepan, heat up the rest of the ingredients until simmering and the sugars have dissolved. Turn off heat.
- In jars, divvy up the cucumbers and onion. Pour the hot vinegar liquid over the vegetables. Allow to cool to room temperature, top it with a lid, and place in the refrigerator.
Pickles will keep for a month, but must be well covered and anytime you pull pickles out, use a clean utensil.