This cake is moist yet fluffy and delicious with layers of vanilla buttercream and strawberry jam with a coating of light buttercream frosting. The perfect treat for an afternoon tea or special occasion!
Vanilla Sponge Cake With Buttercream Frosting and Strawberry Jam [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of sugar (you can use coconut sugar)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of gluten-free self-raising flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 2/5 cups of vegan butter
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 2/5 cups of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of almond milk (if needed)
- 5 tablespoons of strawberry jam
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 340°F and line two 8-inch tins with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- Once the buttermilk is ready, add in the oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk on high for around 2-3 minutes until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, and salt. Don't over mix but mix well until the flour disappears.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet and fold in until fully combined.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into the lined cake tins. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cake tins into the preheated oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully. Once cool, pop them into a sealed container to keep them fresh before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- In a bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter on high then add in the vanilla and icing sugar slowly to prevent sugar clouds. Add milk if needed.
- Level off your cakes (if needed) with a sharp knife.
- Layer the cakes with equal amounts of buttercream and jam. Make sure on the top layer to turn the cake upside down for a flat top.
- Crumb coat the whole cake and pop into the refrigerator for an hour to chill.
- Once the frosting is firm, give a final layer of buttercream and decorate. Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in or out of the refrigerator, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature.