Looking to avoid palm oil and create a delicious spreadable vegan butter? This delicious spread will have you convinced you never need to buy your butter at the store again.
How to Make Your Own Vegan Butter
Ingredients You Need for How to Make Your Own Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons plant milk (soy, almond, rice etc)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup refined extra virgin coconut oil, just melted
- 3/4 cup organic sunflower or olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons soy or sunflower lecithin granules (in the fridge at your health food store)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (easy to find with gluten-free baking goods at your health food store)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (to give the butter a slight yellow colour)
How to Prepare How to Make Your Own Vegan Butter
- Place the soy milk, apple cider vinegar and salt in a small cup and whisk together with a fork. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the mixture curdles.
- Melt the coconut oil so it's barely melted and as close to room temperature as possible. Measure it and add it and the sunflower or olive oil to a blender or food processor. Making smooth vegan butter is dependent on the mixture solidifying as quickly as possible after it's mixed. This is why it's important to make sure your coconut oil is as close to room temperature as possible before you mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the soy milk mixture, soy lecithin, xanthan gum and turmeric to the blender or food processor. Process for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides halfway through the duration. Pour the mixture into a 2 cup glass bowl (with lid) or a mold (ice cube tray works perfectly) and place it in the freezer to solidify. The butter should be ready to use in about an hour.
- Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer for up to 1 year. Fills one standard ice cube tray and makes 1 cup (107 grams), or the equivalent of 2 sticks vegan butter.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.