Human beings are often a bundle of worries, aspirations, insecurities and desires that can turn us into a big old mess. It’s a tough world out there and we can always be relied upon to make it tougher, especially on ourselves. Dogs, on the other hand, are simpler creatures. They don’t wake up in the morning on four hours of sleep because they were up late meeting deadlines, pour a cup of jet-fuel strength coffee, obsess over their work outfit, curse at traffic, panic over an unfinished project or skip dinner because bikini season is coming. Dogs pretty much just need a place to sleep, food to eat, water to drink and the love and attention of their person.
Taking a page out of their play books would do all of us a ton of good. By minimizing all of the superfluous things that we spin our wheels over every day, our society would undoubtedly be calmer, happier and healthier. The priorities that dogs have really shouldn’t be that much different from human ones. The fact is, merely the calming presence of a family dog in the house can boost serotonin and dopamine levels while simultaneously lowering your blood pressure and heart rate. They’re like furry, adorable, and loyal zen masters! In the spirit of letting our lives go to the dogs by living it more simply, here are a list of things that our easy going companions aren’t bothered by and we shouldn’t be either.
1. Body Size: Dogs don’t care how big or small any of us are. Truth be told, they lack this concept entirely.
2. Traffic: We’re all gnashing our teeth and cursing while they’re all, “Wheee!”
3. Keeping Everything Perfectly Tidy: Dirty dishes in the sink and dust on your mantle? Your dog is not concerned about this. It’s a dog’s business to get dirty and business is good.
4. Hair Trends: The term “bad hair day” holds no meaning.
5. Physical Perfection: Being healthy and active is important, but we need to make it fun the way our dogs do. Dogs could care less about the WOD. They’re all about the WOOF.
6. Looking Cool: When it comes to vet visits, fireworks, thunder or any other terrifying occurrences, dogs aren’t worried about keeping up appearances.
7. Fame: One thing is for sure, dogs are far more interested in what’s going on outside the car window than anyone’s celebrity status.
8. Differences Between Us: Regardless of race, religion, sex or species, dogs love without prejudice.
9. Germs: They don’t care if you’re sick, they’re gonna snuggle you when you need it the most.
10. Parenting: They haven’t read any of the books, attended any of the classes and didn’t purchase any of the developmental toys and yet they know with love and patience their babies are gonna turn out just fine.
11. What Side You’re On: Dogs don’t care about politics, they’re more interested in face licks.
12. The Latest Fashions: Canines couldn’t care less about what they’re wearing and their opinion of what you’re wearing is nonexistent too.
13. Dating: Your Match.com profile, blind date outfit and emoticon selections for texting that potential Mr./Mrs. Right are of zero interest to Fido.
14. Fitting In: Conforming to society is at the bottom of a dog’s list of priorities, along with sitting idly by as the mail is delivered and getting annual shots.
15. Material Possessions: They don’t need a big house, lots of money and tons of stuff. If they have love, they have it all (and so do we).
Lead image source: spiritualjourneyguide.com