A letter signed and supported by celebrities, charities, and MPS calls out the UK Government for its inaction on banning cages in egg production. Cages are one of the most condemned farming practices in the world, yet they continue to be used.
Source: Animal Equality UK/Youtube
Nearly 14 million chickens are stuck in cages across the UK, but 76 percent of UK consumers think that banning cages should be a priority. Cages are incredibly inhumane and restrict the movement of the hens. This impacts their well-being, and they suffer psychological and physical harm in caged environments during their short lives.
Lorraine Platt, Co-Founder of the Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation, said, “Every year 14 million hens are kept in tiny cages with hardly enough room to spread their wings. This is unacceptable for a nation which prides itself on strong farm welfare standards.”
“While we welcome the efforts of retailers leading the way in going cage-free, we still estimate that after these commitments there will remain 8 million hens kept confined in cages for their whole lives. We urge the Government to bring legislation into greater alignment with political, public and retailer sentiment, and launch their planned consultation now, so we can finally ban laying hens from a life behind bars.”
Source: Animal Equality/Youtube
The letter was submitted to Defra on the first anniversary of the government’s Action Plan for Animal Welfare was published. However, the government has failed to make any strides in the year since they committed to “examining the use of cages for laying hens.”
The joint letter was signed by celebrities including Lucy Watson, broadcaster Kirsty Gallacher, actor Peter Egan, veterinarian Marc Abraham OBE, and James Dunmore. 13 animal charities also signed, including Humane League UK, RSPCA, Conservative Animal Foundation, and Animal Equality UK. 15 MPs signed the letter including Henry Smith and Caroline Lucas.
The letter was spearheaded by The Humane League UK, RSPCA, and Conservative Animal Foundation as a part of Beatrice’s Campaign, which aims to ban cages for hens. Recently, the Government’s efforts in animal welfare have been mixed. Boris Johnson reversed the plans to ban fur and foie gras but also passed the Animal Sentience Bill and introduced a ban on glue traps.
The EU plans to ban all cages in farming by 2027, but the inaction of the government in the UK is frustrating the public as the country is falling behind the EU, which has proven how low animal welfare is on the country’s list of priorities despite their made promises.
Cordelia Britton, Head of Programs at The Humane League UK, said, “This government gained power on a raft of progressive animal welfare policies, and promised not to fall behind the EU. The EU is working towards a ban on cages – meanwhile, our government vowed to ‘examine’ the issue a year ago, and have done nothing since. Hens in cages, and the concerned public, need something concrete – the Government needs to announce a consultation on this topic or risk breaching their trust.”
Egg-producing hens are one of the most systematically abused animals in the world. They are confined in small cages for their entire short lives and are subject to immense psychological and physical harm. Sign this petition to demand chickens locked in cages cannot be labeled as cage-free! And while you’re at it, sign this petition to help stop abuse in the poultry industry.
Read more about eggs and chicken treatment on One Green Planet:
- Vegan Eggs Outsell Real Eggs
- Colorado’s New Law Will Protect Chickens by Only Allowing the Sale of Cage-Free Eggs
- You Will Never Eat Eggs Again After Reading This
- Is There Really Such a Thing as an Ethical Egg? The Hidden Cruelty Involved in All Egg Production
- This Scorecard Will Show You Where the Largest Food Companies Stand on their Animal Welfare Standards
- Costco’s New Slaughterhouse for Chickens
- How to Egg Industry Harms Hens
- Utah Bans Battery Cages in Win for Hens!
- Decomposing, Deformed, and Trampled to Death: Horrific Footage Shows Conditions on Italian Chicken Farms
- Battery Hen Reaching to See Light in Her Cramped Cage Shows the Realities of Factory Farming
- After Lives Spent in Horrific Wire-Bottom Cages, 2 Ex-Battery Hens Finally Get to Spread Their Wings (VIDEO)
- These 7 Stories of Hens Who Escaped Battery Cages Will Make Your Day
- These Hens Lived in Cages So Small, They Could Not Spread Their Wings. Watch Them Feel the Earth and Experience Freedom!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!