Pasta carbonara is usually made with cream, cheese, egg, and bacon. Despite this, it is super simple to create plant-based carbonara that is just as delicious, especially when completed with shiitake bacon. If you’re wanting to try out a plant-based carbonara recipe, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve rounded up 12 of the yummiest carbonara recipes to enjoy any day of the week! Don’t forget to check out these recipes and many others on our Food Monster App.
1. Rutabaga Carbonara with Shiitake Mushroom Bacon
This completely veganized Rutabaga Carbonara with Shiitake Mushroom Bacon by Phoebe Douglas will make you never miss nonvegan food again! The mushroom bacon is smoked with mouthwatering flavors, and the pasta dish is topped with a veganized parmesan made from pecans and nutritional yeast.
2. Spaghetti Carbonara
Source: Spaghetti Carbonara
Here is a veganized, healthy version of a classic, Spaghetti Carbonara by Kirsten Kaminski. Imagine the creamiest non-dairy sauce, slightly flavored with a cheesy and eggy note, paired with little bits of smokey and crunchy plant-based ‘bacon’ – yum! What’s great about this recipe, in particular, is that you can adjust the sauce according to your taste, and add more or less cheesiness, spices, or egg flavor!
3. Spaghetti With Cauliflower Carbonara and Tempeh Bacon
Looking for a vegan spaghetti carbonara recipe that tastes as good as the creamy Italian classic — or even better? This Spaghetti With Cauliflower Carbonara and Tempeh Bacon by Julie Van den Kerchove has a creamy sauce and is so tasty! It’s almost fat-free, it doesn’t have any cashews, and all you need is five simple ingredients. The sauce gets its creaminess from the always wonderful vegetable cauliflower.
4. Veggie Carbonara With Cashew Cream Sauce
This Veggie Carbonara With Cashew Cream Sauce by Renee Sexton is packed with flavor, creamy sauce, and tons of vegetables. The cashew cream sauce is smooth and creamy and then used to coat tender pumpkin, ripe cherry tomatoes, and hearty mushrooms. Friends and family will be begging for seconds . . . so there won’t be much left for lunch.
5. Creamy Veggie Carbonara With Shiitake Bacon
This is very reminiscent of traditional Carbonara but you’ve got to try it for yourself. Rich, Carbonara-y goodness comin’ at ya. You will be in a hurry and itching to taste this Creamy Veggie Carbonara With Shiitake Bacon by Rita Marie. The squash is really what takes the longest in this recipe. It is SO worth it. The creamy goodness will melt your problems away.
6. Raw Carbonara Risotto With Green Peas
This hearty Raw Carbonara Risotto With Green Peas by Mariko Sakata is made from wild rice cooked in a dehydrator that is then mixed in with a cashew-based carbonara sauce. Coconut bacon is stirred in and is also sprinkled on top to emulate the pancetta used in traditional carbonara recipes. This is a great dinner option for nights when you are looking for something a bit more substantial!
7. Zucchini Noodle Carbonara
Source: Zucchini Noodle Carbonara
Carbonara is a creamy pasta dish loaded with eggs, cheese, and bacon. How does one make this dish healthy? Simple! With cashew “egg” cream, mushroom bacon, and zucchini noodles, of course! This is Zucchini Noodle Carbonara by Cruelty-Free Family is creamy, comforting, and way more energizing than the original!
8. Smoked Tofu and Mushroom Carbonara With ‘Mung Bean’ Pasta
A traditional carbonara is pasta mixed with egg, cream and parmesan then topped with crispy bacon. This amazing Smoked Tofu and Mushroom Carbonara With ‘Mung Bean’ Pasta by Becky Cotter is a twist on the traditional carbonara. The smoked tofu adds a wonderful flavor to this dish.
9. Pasta Carbonara
Source: Pasta Carbonara
Usually, pasta carbonara is an extremely heavy, rich dish – but not this pasta. This Pasta Carbonara by Sarah Baker gives you all of the decadent flavors in pasta carbonara without any of the cruelty. This dish is packed full of vegetables and has a creamy carbonara sauce that is to die for.
10. Carbonara Spaghetti With Zucchini Noodles
This Carbonara Spaghetti With Zucchini Noodles by Attila Hildmann is a dream come true for pasta lovers, as the noodles consist of zucchini as opposed to high-calorie starches. While not even the most avid pasta lover would consume that much in a sitting, it does make the point clear that zucchini noodles are a wonderful alternative. And with a tasty sauce, these noodles are simply delicious.
11. Cauliflower Carbonara
Source: Cauliflower Carbonara
When you put the words vegan and carbonara they don’t seem to go together….But this Cauliflower Carbonara by Emma Hyslop is about to become your new favorite warming dish to have on a cold evening, and you won’t spend very much time making it- that means more time to watch a movie and relax. The best part about this dish is how healthy it is you’re getting your veggies in through the cauliflower sauce without even realizing it, and the nutritional yeast helps get your B-12 in which is great if you’re vegan and looking for sources to get this vital vitamin!
12. Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce
Source: Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce
This healthy Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce by Lucie Javorska is exquisitely creamy and indulgent. Cashews and cauliflower are the base of this sauce, making it cholesterol-free and low in saturated fat as opposed to the original version of the Italian classic. Serve with your favorite pasta or spiralized noodles!
If you love carbonara for dinner, check out these 10 Vegan Carbonara Recipes For Sunday Dinner! If you just love pasta in general, check out these 15 Creamy, Comforting Pasta Dishes You Won’t Believe Are Dairy-Free!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.