Carbonara is a creamy pasta dish loaded with eggs, cheese, and bacon. How does one make this dish healthy? Simple! With cashew “egg” cream, mushroom bacon, and zucchini noodles, of course! This spiralized veggie dish is creamy, comforting, and way more energizing than the original!
Zucchini Noodle Carbonara [Vegan]
For the Zucchini Noodles:
- 2-3 medium zucchini
For the Cashew Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon black Indian salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
For the Mushroom Bacon:
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chopped parsley
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make the mushroom bacon, slice the mushrooms into 1/8-inch slices. Coat them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place the slices in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, being careful not to burn the mushrooms. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Using a spiralizer, spiralize the zucchini into noodles. Cut the zucchini noodles into shorter noodles if desired. Place the noodles in a serving dish and set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for 5-7 minutes until they are just beginning to brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a blender, blend together the onions, garlic, cashews, nutritional yeast, and salt with 1 cup of water until completely smooth. Add up to 1/4 cup more water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Gently heat the cashew sauce in a pot over medium-low heat.
- Pour the warm sauce over the zucchini noodles to warm them.
- Toss the zucchini noodles with mushroom bacon and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.