This pasta carbonara is packed with flavor, creamy sauce, and tons of vegetables. The cashew cream sauce is smooth and creamy and then used to coat tender pumpkin, ripe cherry tomatoes, and hearty mushrooms. Friends and family will be begging for seconds . . . so there won't be much left for lunch.
Veggie Carbonara With Cashew Cream Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashew cheese
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 chili
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
For the Pasta
- 1.5 pounds pumpkin
- 1/2 small white onion
- 7 medium White Button mushrooms
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 17 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and start boiling some water in a large pot.
- Cut the skin off the pumpkin and cut into small chunks. Place it on a baking tray with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes until soft.
- Finely dice the onion and cook it in a hot pan with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add in the crushed garlic, chopped mushrooms, and sliced cherry tomatoes. Simmer them on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Once your water has boiled, add it to a large pot and throw in your pasta with a good pinch of salt. Let it cook per the instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, add to your food processor your cashew cheese, almond milk, turmeric, chili, water, and cooked pumpkin. Blend them until there smooth.
- Check your mushrooms are soft and then add your bag of baby spinach.
- Give the mixture a good mix then drain your pasta and add it to the pot, followed by the pumpkin sauce. Mix this well and add more water if it’s too thick for your liking.
- Simmer this for 3 minutes and then serve with some lettuce, avocado, and lots of parsley.