This completely veganized carbonara with shiitake mushroom bacon dish will make you never miss non vegan food again! The mushroom bacon is smoked with with mouthwatering flavors, and the pasta dish is topped with a veganized parmesan made from pecans and nutritional yeast.
Rutabaga Carbonara with Shiitake Mushroom Bacon [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 a rutabaga
- 3 shallots (or 1 white onion)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups of stock
- 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of tahini
- Pepper (to season to taste)
For the Mushroom Bacon:
- 4 1/4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (or use 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of ancho chilli)
- 2 teaspoons tamiri
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 14 ounces of gluten free tagliatelle (or any form of gluten free pasta)
- Crushed pecans
- Nutritional yeast
- Peel and dice the rutabaga into cubes and then roast for around 25-30 minutes at 390°F, until the rutabaga is soft.
- Meanwhile fry your shallots and garlic until soft and browning.
- Once the rutabaga and shallots are cooked place them both into a blender. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Thinly slice your mushrooms and place in a tray. Cover with the liquid smoke, tamiri and maple syrup.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Place the mushrooms in the oven for 5-10 minutes at 390°F. You want the mushrooms to have started to crisp a little.
- Once the pasta is done drain and pour the sauce over it. Add the mushrooms. To serve, add a mix of crushed pecans and nutritional yeast to create a pecan parmesan, and some fresh parsley.