When you put the words vegan and carbonara they don’t really go together….This is about to become your new favorite warming dish to have on a cold evening in, and you won’t spend very much time making it- that means more time to watch a movie and relax. The best part about this dish is how healthy it is you’re getting your veggies in through the cauliflower sauce without even realizing it, and the nutritional yeast helps get your B-12 in which is great if you’re vegan and looking for sources to get this vital vitamin!
Cauliflower Carbonara [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Carbonara Sauce:
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Pasta:
- 1/2 pack gluten-free soba noodles
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 glove garlic
- Steam the cauliflower florets until soft over medium heat use a steaming basket.
- Once the cauliflower has cooked start making the soba noodles using the directions on the back.
- In a food processor combine the cauliflower, lemon juice, and almond milk- blend until smooth and creamy (you can always add more almond milk if you want it a bit creamier!)
- Add the minced garlic cloves, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and continue to pulse on high until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Once the soba noodles have finished cooking and they have been strained, add the olive oil, garlic, and mushrooms to a frying pan.
- Allow the mushrooms to fry off for about two minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and soba noodles into the pan, and stir everything together.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil (optional) and some fresh herbs (also optional).