Looking for a vegan spaghetti carbonara recipe that tastes as good as the creamy Italian classic — or even better? I think you’ll be amazed by this creamy carbonara sauce! It’s almost fat-free, it doesn’t have any cashews, and all you need is five simple ingredients. The sauce gets its creaminess from the always wonderful vegetable cauliflower.
Spaghetti With Cauliflower Carbonara and Tempeh Bacon [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce:
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (1 medium head)
- 1 cup cooking water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk, unsweetened (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Mustard, to taste
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Bacon:
- 1 package of smoky tempeh
- Tamari, as needed
- Smoked paprika powder, as needed
For the Spaghetti Carbonara Bowl:
- 4 small zucchini
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Almond Parmesan, as needed (optional)
- Parsley or chives, as needed (optional)
To Make the Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce:
- Cook or steam the cauliflower florets until tender. Don’t pour away the cooking liquid, you’ll need some of it for the sauce.
- Put the cauliflower in the blender together with 1 cup of the cooking water, olive oil, oat milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
To Make the Bacon:
- Cut the smoked tempeh into cubes. Marinate with tamari and smoked paprika to taste.
- Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan. Bake the tempeh until it’s slightly crunchy on the outside. These will add a deep salty flavor to the pasta.
To Make the Spaghetti Carbonara Bowl:
- Peel the zucchini if you prefer white pasta instead of green noodles. Cut the zucchini in half and use a spiralizer to turn it into noodles.
- Mix the zucchini noodles with the warm cauliflower carbonara sauce. Add as much tempeh bacon as your heart desires.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper, parsley or chives, and almond Parmesan cheese.