When Eleven Madison Park announced it would move to an entirely plant-based menu, the food community was shocked. But the gamble has paid off. Bloomberg reported that the former World’s 50 Best Restaurants number one restaurant had a 15,000 person waitlist ahead of its June 10 reopening.
During the announcement that the restaurant would switch to plant-based, Chef Daniel Humm was unsure about the reception. He shared “it wasn’t clear if guests would come.” Looks like the waitlist has spoken. And guests are lining up to try dishes like summer squash with lemongrass and marinated tofu.
When Bloomberg reviewed the restaurant, they reported, “The lack of protein does not sing out, perhaps because almost nothing on the 11-course EMP menu attempts to mimic meat or fish. There’s no lavender-roasted seitan to evoke the famed duck, which would have been an easier, less eye-opening shortcut.”
“It is time to redefine luxury as an experience that serves a higher purpose and maintains a genuine connection to the community,” Humm wrote on Eleven Madison Park’s website. “A restaurant experience is about more than what’s on the plate. We are thrilled to share the incredible possibilities of plant-based cuisine while deepening our connection to our homes: both our city and our planet.”
The move comes during a shift in the food industry, where more institutions transition into environmentally friendly options. Epicurious announced recently they would not publish new recipes that include beef. Other restaurants that have removed animal products from their menus include Breads On Oak, Secret Creek Cafe & Restaurant, and Bar Velo.
Read more about how meat production impacts the planet:
- Why Reducing Meat Consumption Is the Easiest Step Everyone Can Take to Fix Our Broken Food System
- Landmark UN Report Urges World’s Governments to Recommend Cutting Down on Meat Consumption
- 5 Easy Ways to Cut Down on Your Meat Consumption
- Meat Consumption: The Downward Spiral Continues
- New Report Provides Alarming Facts About Meat and Dairy Production
- Study Finds Environmental Impact of Meat Versus Vegetables is Staggering
- 10 Scary Facts About Meat and the Environment
- People Have NO CLUE That Eating Meat is Destroying the Environment
- Meat and Its Impact on the Environment: Should We Blame Farmers or Meat Eaters?
- Take Part in Saving the Planet Today by Downloading this App!
- Beef Industry Linked to Catastrophic Deforestation for Great Barrier Reef Catchments
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- Scientists Call for Cuts to Deforestation to Protect the Planet – Here’s How You Can Help With Your Food Choices
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is Largely to Blame
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!