Source: CBS News/YouTube
“I’m excited to share that we’ve made the decision to serve a plant-based menu in which we do not use any animal products — every dish is made from vegetables, both from the earth and the sea, as well as fruits, legumes, fungi, grains, and so much more,” chef and owner Daniel Humm wrote in a statement on the restaurant’s website.
The restaurant is scheduled to open on June 10 for dining. Humm noted the risk of the move, but said it was worth it.
“It is time to redefine luxury as an experience that serves a higher purpose and maintains a genuine connection to the community,” he wrote on Eleven Madison Park’s website. “A restaurant experience is about more than what’s on the plate. We are thrilled to share the incredible possibilities of plant-based cuisine while deepening our connection to our homes: both our city and our planet.”
The move comes during a shift in the food industry, where more institutions transition into environmentally friendly options. Epicurious announced recently they would not publish new recipes that include beef. Other restaurants that have removed animal products from their menus include Breads On Oak, Secret Creek Cafe & Restaurant, and Bar Velo.
Read more about how meat production impacts the planet:
- Why Reducing Meat Consumption Is the Easiest Step Everyone Can Take to Fix Our Broken Food System
- Landmark UN Report Urges World’s Governments to Recommend Cutting Down on Meat Consumption
- 5 Easy Ways to Cut Down on Your Meat Consumption
- Meat Consumption: The Downward Spiral Continues
- New Report Provides Alarming Facts About Meat and Dairy Production
- Study Finds Environmental Impact of Meat Versus Vegetables is Staggering
- 10 Scary Facts About Meat and the Environment
- People Have NO CLUE That Eating Meat is Destroying the Environment
- Meat and Its Impact on the Environment: Should We Blame Farmers or Meat Eaters?
- Take Part in Saving the Planet Today by Downloading this App!
- Beef Industry Linked to Catastrophic Deforestation for Great Barrier Reef Catchments
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- Scientists Call for Cuts to Deforestation to Protect the Planet – Here’s How You Can Help With Your Food Choices
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is Largely to Blame
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.