We love anything and everything that can be made with chickpeas and falafel is one of our favorites!
The traditional way to make falafel involves soaking dried chickpeas and then grinding them up. Then, they are seasoned with garlic, parsley, cumin, salt, and pepper. The mixture is finally shaped into balls or patties and deep-fried. Expert falafel makers rarely use flour to hold the balls together. The most common way to eat falafel is in a pita with garnishes of tomatoes, cucumbers, and pickled onions. Finally, the sandwich is topped with hummus, tahini, and/or spicy sauces.
However, we are breaking tradition and getting creative with our falafel. After all, it is believed that the original falafel was made with fava beans. Why not try making falafel with all sorts of different beans or adding interesting ingredients such as beets, walnuts, pistachios, and sweet potatoes? Instead of frying, we can bake our falafel. We can turn the balls into burgers, sliders, or large loaves.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy!
Are you ready to use your imagination? Let’s start with these 15 creative and delicious falafel recipes:
1. Falafel-Stuffed Peppers With a Coconut Dill Sauce
You’ve never had stuffed peppers like Jordan and Clark Cord‘s Falafel Stuffed Peppers With a Coconut Dill Sauce. The crispy falafels are seasoned with fresh basil and parsley with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and baked to savory perfection. They’re then stuffed in crispy red bell peppers and drizzled with a tangy dill sauce for the perfect dish with Mediterranean flavors.
2. Falafel Burger With Avocado Sauce, Spinach, and Homemade Burger Buns
Falafel served in pita bread is awesome, but falafel in a burger is super-duper-amazing! Bianca Haun‘s Falafel Burgers With Avocado Sauce are a real flavor explosion. The creaminess of the avocado, the crunchiness of the falafel, and the freshness of the spinach all come together to make an exciting blend of tastes and textures. The homemade burger buns make this already extraordinary burger even more amazing.
Get the Summer Cookbook!
3. Deep Dish Falafel Pizza
Source: Deep Dish Falafel Pizza
Anthea Cheng‘s unique Deep Dish Falafel Pizza starts with a falafel-inspired crust of chickpeas, fresh herbs, and spices. Once crispy from the oven, it’s topped with vibrant beet hummus and vegetables of your choice. The finishing touch is a layer of cheesy tahini sauce that gets spread over the vegetables once they’re roasted. This dish is a show-stopper, for sure!
4. Beet and Chickpea Falafel
Source: Beet and Chickpea Falafel
Sofia Von Porat‘s Beet and Chickpea Falafel are certainly the prettiest falafel you’ll ever have. Vibrant from the beets, these falafel are bursting with fresh flavors. Serve these over a bed of salad with a coconut yogurt tahini sauce, or wrap them in a pita with plenty of greens.
5. Korean Spicy Sweet Potato Falafel Tacos With White Kimchi
Fusion food never tasted so good! Maikki Vasala‘s Korean Spicy Sweet Potato Falafel Tacos With White Kimchi combine Korean flavors with Mediterranean falafel and Mexican tacos. This is the most culturally diverse meal you’ll ever, have and it’s pretty darn delicious, too.
6. Smoky Falafel Burgers
Source: Smoky Falafel Burgers
The secret ingredient in Crissy Cavanaugh‘s Mediterranean-inspired Smoky Falafel Burgers is smoked paprika! Just a pinch adds a ton of smoky, slightly spicy flavor. These healthy falafel burgers are so easy to make and can be served any way you like — inside a pita, on traditional slider buns, or even on a bed of greens.
7. Sweet Potato Falafel With Avocado Dipping Sauce
These naturally sweet, low-fat, baked Sweet Potato Falafel With Avocado Dipping Sauce by Hallie and Reya Tobias make for a delicious appetizer or snack. They’re flavored with turmeric, garlic, cumin, and a pinch of chili flakes. You could eat these falafels as they are, dipped in the creamy, avocado sauce, or on top of a vegetable salad for a nutritious, light meal!
8. Falafel Tacos
Source: Falafel Tacos
If falafel tastes great wrapped in pitas, it follows they would be awesome wrapped in tortillas. These Falafel Tacos by Del Sroufe are proof of that theory. Served with a homemade green sauce containing tahini and lots of cilantro, this is one delicious fusion dish.
9. Chickpea and Pistachio Falafel
Source: Chickpea and Pistachio Falafel
Sienna Formosa‘s Chickpea and Pistachio Falafel recipe is so simple to make! The addition of pistachio nuts adds some crunch and a delightfully nutty flavor. You’ll have a hard time resisting these fresh out of the oven so don’t even try. You can always say you’re testing one for quality assurance.
10. Beet Falafel Burger
Source: Beet Falafel Burgers
Made with juicy beets and chickpeas, Ella Suihko‘s Beet Falafel Burgers are crispy on the outside and sweet and spicy on the inside. They’re crispy like falafel, without all the oil because they’re baked, not fried! Top with no shortage of guac and serve on toasted buns at your next cookout.
11. Baked Roasted Poblano Kale Falafel
Stephanie McKinnie‘s Baked Roasted Poblano Kale Falafel is simply outstanding! Roasted poblano peppers give them a smoky, spicy kick, and since they are baked using a very small amount of oil, they are much better for you than fried falafel. Not to mention every bit as delicious! You can dress this falafel up however you like, with pita bread, fresh veggies, and tahini sauce.
12. Falafel Waffles
Source: Falafel Waffles
Natalie Slater‘s Falafel Waffles are a work of genius. They‘re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Best of all, no deep-frying is required to make these savory waffles. Topped with hummus “syrup” and fresh garnishes, you’ll love these waffles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
13. Spinach Falafel With Tahini Dressing
Josephine Watmore‘s Spinach Falafel With Tahini Dressing amps up the nutrition. Fresh spinach is added to the chickpea mix for extra green, extra pretty, and extra tasty falafel. They’re served in homemade pitas with an easy homemade tahini sauce.
14. Falafel Burger
Source: Falafel Burger
Try everyone’s favorite Mediterranean delicacy in burger form with Sheil Shukla‘s Falafel Burger. Chickpeas and fava beans come together to create a succulent falafel patty that is then seasoned with fennel, cumin, and coriander seeds. Enjoy it in a burger bun, on top of a salad, or in a lettuce wrap.
15. Baked Sweet Potato and Walnut Falafel
Delicious and healthy, Mel McDonald‘s Baked Sweet Potato and Walnut Falafel are a whole new spin on the classic recipe. The falafel is made with fresh herbs, sweet potato, and crunchy walnuts. They’re perfectly moist and full of flavor. You can serve them either hot or cold, and they freeze well, too!
Eating falafel the traditional way is delicious but getting creative with your falafel recipes is priceless! Try these imaginative and mouthwatering recipes and then come up with your creative spin on falafel.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.