Made with juicy beets and chickpeas, these patties are crispy on the outside and sweet and spicy on the inside. They're crispy like falafel, without all the oil because they're baked, not fried! Top with no shortage of guac and serve on toasted buns at your next cookout.
Beet Falafel Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium-sized beets, grated
- 1 13.5-ounce can chickpeas
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 2-3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- Start by preheating your oven to 390°F.
- Peel and grate the beets. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer and press out as much excess liquid as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Rinse the chickpeas with cold water before putting them into a food processor with the garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, and the spices. Blend until you get an even mixture.
- In a large bowl combine the chickpea mixture with the grated beets, flax eggs, and flour. Stir generously with your hands to get a relatively even paste.
- Form mixture into 8-10 even balls and flatten until about 3/4-inch thick patties. Bake about 30 minutes and remove from the oven.