These walnut and borlotti falafel sliders are on a disc of beetroot and slathered with lemon and garlic vegan mayo. I have used the term falafel loosely because these do not contain chickpeas, (or any other traditional falafel ingredients), but they are made of beans and they are round!
Walnut Falafel Sliders With Pickled Beet and Lemon Mayo [Vegan]
- 1 can borlotti (cranberry) beans
- 3 ounces walnuts (removed from shells)
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Vegan mayo
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Garlic clove
- Crusty Baguette
- Cooked Beet
- In a blender add the beans and blitz until a fine crumb texture then add the walnuts and roughly chopped onion and blitz again to break everything down. Stop before it’s a paste as you don’t want it too wet.
- Tip into a large bowl then grate the carrot into the bowl with the flour, garlic, thyme and seasoning. Mix thoroughly with your hands really squishing it together to help it bind together. I found mine came together fine as the flour acts as a good binding agent but if you feel it is too dry then add a splash of water.
- Shape into balls and fry in some shallow olive oil until golden brown and hot throughout.
- To make the mayo, I simply used shop bought vegan mayo and squeezed in some lemon huice (and lemon zest if you want) and then I grated in some garlic. Mix it well and you have a gorgeous garlic and lemon mayo.
- To assemble thinly slice some crusty baguette and spread with the mayo, top with a slice of cooked/ pickled beet and place a falafel on top!