One day I made falafel for a few friends and realized right before the first guest arrived that I had forgotten to buy pita bread. One of my guests said that she often serves falafel in corn tortillas, either with Green Sauce or with salsa, and voila! Dinner was saved!
Falafel Tacos [Vegan]
For the Tacos:
- 12–16 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
For the Falafel:
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the Green Sauce:
- 1 12-ounce package light silken firm tofu
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup tahini (not raw)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
To Make the Falafel:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add everything to a food processor and process, leaving a little texture to the beans.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, shape the mixture into balls. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the falafel over and bake for another 8–10 minutes.
To Make the Green Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Tip: If you leave out the tahini, increase the cilantro to 1 cup.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add enough corn tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan and heat for 3–4 minutes to soften the tortillas.
- To serve, cut each falafel in half and place two or three halves in the center of the corn tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with some of the Green sauce, romaine lettuce, chopped tomato, and red onion.