Forever Pie is a new completely-vegan pizza shop that recently opened on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, California. Forever Pie offers New York-style slices with nut-free cheeses and fun flavors and toppings.
The shop offers 1990s hip-hop vibes and a dark nightclub-like atmosphere, The Eatery reported. Nic Adler opened the restaurant as a ‘love letter’ to the hip-hop parties he used to throw as an 18-year-old with actor David Faustino in the early ’90s.
“Forever Pie was born out of those memories of that summer in ’91 when hip-hop was just starting to explode,” says Adler. “I had an amazing group of friends and we somehow always ended up at the Rainbow Bar and Grill at the end of the night and had so much late-night pizza. It was a special time in my life.”
Alder has been vegan for 25 years and even created LA’s Eat Drink Vegan food festival. He partnered with Anthony Carron, the founding chef of 800 Degrees Pizza, to create the menu for Forever Pie.
“I grew up with my parents ordering from Johnnie’s NY Pizza like once a week,” says Adler. “You didn’t have to go through the menu and spend 20 minutes on it. It was pretty simple: There was pizza, salad, pasta, garlic knots, and maybe a dessert.”
At night, the interior seats about 20 and has neon purple lights everywhere, with hip-hop music blasting throughout the restaurant. The pies come in New York-style, thin-crust pizzas that are cooked in a 1960s stone-floor oven, according to The Eatery. The dough is made from filtered water and high-protein flour and is aged for a couple of days for the best results. You can find anything from a classic pepperoni pizza with Beyond Meat to more unique flavors like the cheeseburger pizza or the Korean bbq. Forever Pie, of course, also offers some different kinds of pasta, salads, and wings made with Bealeaf.
The most important part for Alder was to nail the nut-free cheeses.
“People will eat Impossible, but are very sensitive when it comes to whatever non-dairy cheese option there is, which is understandable,” says Adler. “We worked a lot on the cheese, trying to create a blend that comes as close to what someone would think a slice of pizza could be — and I think we’ve achieved that.”
Forever Pie is already planning a second location in Echo Park next spring.
Check out these vegan pizza recipes you can make at home!
- Homemade Pizza [Vegan]
- Quinoa Pizza Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Rustic Roasted Vegetable Pizza [Vegan]
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza [Vegan]
- Zucchini Pizza Bites [Vegan]
- Tomato and Basil Pizza [Vegan]
- Four Onion Pesto Pizza [Vegan]
- Spotted: New Locations, Food Trucks, Pizza Shops and Cool Vegan Menus We’ve Found This Week!
- Govinda’s Opens New Pizza Shop!
- 15 Dairy-Free Pizza Recipes Using Fall Veggies!
- 15 Plant-Based Pizza Recipes to Make for Your Next Pizza Party
- 15 Dairy-Free Cheeses for Your Favorite Sandwich, Pizza, or Pasta!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.