This homemade vegan pizza is topped with tomato sauce, vegan mozzarella, basil and cherry tomatoes.
Tomato and Basil Pizza [Vegan]
For the Pizza Dough:
- 2.8 cups strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 cup passata
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
For the Toppings:
- 2 cups vegan mozzarella-style cheese, grated
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- Fresh basil
For the Dough:
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Measure 150ml of cold water and 150ml boiling water into a jug and mix them together.
- Add the oil and 1 tsp salt to the warm water then pour it over the flour. Stir well with a spoon then start to knead the mixture together until it forms a soft and slightly sticky dough. If it’s too dry add a splash of cold water.
- Dust a bit of flour on a work surface and knead the dough for 10 mins. Put it back in the mixing bowl and cover with cling film greased with a few drops of olive oil.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size.
For the Pizza:
- Heat oven to 390°F and put a baking sheet on the top shelf to heat up. Once the dough has risen, knead it again on a floured surface.
- Put all the ingredients for the tomato sauce together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into 2, shape into balls and flatten each piece out as thin as you can get it using your hands. Make sure the dough is well dusted with flour to stop it sticking.
- Dust another baking sheet with flour then put a pizza base on top – spread 4-5 tablespoons of the tomato sauce on top and add some sliced cherry tomatoes and grated vegan cheese.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake in the oven on top of your preheated baking tray for 10-12 mins or until the base is puffed up and the vegan cheese has melted and is bubbling and golden..
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and topping. Serve the pizzas with fresh basil leaves.