Each Friday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this is will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up! Here you’ll find different categories of news, a synopsis of the top stories, and links to each article published during the week.
1. Animal Rights and Welfare News
As always we had a ton of news to cover in the world of animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included American Express Finally Agrees To Removed Crocodile Skin Bags From Membership Program, Iran Could Approve A Ban on Pet Ownership Leaving Animal Lovers Devastated, Government Minister Rejects the Use of CCTV in Fish Slaughterhouses, House of Representatives Passes Funding Bill That Will Help So Many Animals!, Dog Rescued After Being Thrown into the Harlem River, Dead Great White Shark Washes Ashore In the Latest Shark Sighting This Summer, Starving Polar Bear Gets Can of Condensed Milk Stuck on Her Tongue Leaving Her Unable to Eat or Drink, Three Men Die Within 24 Hours From Wounds Sustained During Spain’s Cruel Bull-Running Events, Puppy Found Living Inside Hot Storage Unit Amid Nationwide Housing Crisis, The Cost of Captivity: Lioness Killed by Male Lion Minutes After Introduction at The Birmingham Zoo, Officer Shot and Killed 15-Foot-Long Pet Snake That Was Strangling its Owner, Monarch Butterflies Officially Classified as Endangered As Milkweed Plants Decline, and Carriage Horse Found Dead in His Stall Amid NYC’s Record Heatwave.
Here are the other important animal stories of the week:
- This Rescued Baby Lamb Went From Frail and Orphaned to a Spoiled House Goat
- Disabled Cat Was About To Be Euthanized Until This Woman Took Her Home
- This Pig Didn’t Know if He Would Survive. Now, He Has a Beautiful New Life and Best Friend!
- Girl Gets Attacked by Monkey Who Didn’t Belong in Cage at a Zoo
- This Piglet Was Raised By a Kind Human After Her Sick Mom Couldn’t Care for Her
- This Piglet Was Headed to a Fattening Farm, But Look How He Escaped His Fate!
- Real-Life Lassie: Border Collie Helps Search & Rescue His Owner Who Fell in California’s Tahoe National Forest
- This Fox Was Rescued From a Fur Farm. Now He Enjoys Birthday Cake!
- Woman Raises Special Needs Possum Like Her Own Baby
- Stray Cat Shows Up at a Woman’s Doorstep. Now She’s Welcoming Her Babies Into The World!
- This Couple Designed Their Wedding Cake to Look Like Their Dog Took A Bite Out Of It
- This Malnourished Rescue Horse Named Moose is Living Out His Days Peacefully in a Sanctuary
2. Earth and Environmental News
Source: Ewelina W/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included Delaware Will Give Free and Affordable Solar Panels to Low-Income Households, Biden Pledges Executive Action After Manchin Rejects Climate Action Once Again, Biden Blames Oil Refineries in Northeast For Giving Him and Others Cancer, Japan Nuclear Regulators Approve Plan to Release Water From Fukushima into the Ocean Despite Pushback, Polar Bears Eat Garbage As Their Home Melts Away, Solar Panels Lose Efficiency As Heat Waves Sweep Across the World, The Rancher Advocacy Program Teaches Farmers How to Transition Their Farms and Move Away From Animals, and World’s First Named Heat Wave, Zoe, Hits Seville, Spain As Temperatures Soar Over 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
Here are the other top earth stories of the week:
- Kylie Jenner Called “Climate Criminal” After She Was Found To Take Her Private Jet On 3 Minute Flights
- Ukrainian Woman Invents Solar For Balconies to Help EU Move Away From Russian Gas
- The Territory: New Documentary Follows Uru-Eu-Wau-Wau Community Fighting to Protect their Indigenous Land in the Amazon
- Why On Earth: New Documentary Explores The Issues Affecting the Natural World and the Importance of Humans, Animals, and Plant-Based Health
- Luton Airport’s Runway Peels Away Amid Soaring Temperatures
- In the Wake of SCOTUS Undermining the Environment, Here’s How We the People Take Our Power Back
- School and Residents in Barcelona Team Up to Create a Solar Energy Community
3. Life News
This week in life news, innovation took the spotlight in How to Make a Plant Nursery Using Plastic Food Containers, TikTok Hack: How to Grow Unlimited Green Onions At Home, and How to Turn Your Leftover Banana Peels Into Fertilizer.
4. Plant-Based Food News
There was plenty of excitement and disappointment this week in the world of plant-based food news, including Experts Warn Against Eating Raw Oysters Amid Rise in Food Poisoning Linked to Raw Shellfish, Navy Could Offer Meat Alternatives Under New Pilot Program, and Meat Consumption in Germany Continues to Drop as Country Embraces Plant-Based Foods.
5. Human Interest Stories
This week in human interest, we saw a scary virus outbreak down under in Foot-and-Mouth Disease Could Ruin Australia’s Economy and Cause a Global Food Shortage, and we discovered a clue about the decline of an ancient civilization in Researchers Link Climate Change to Civil Unrest in Mayan Civilization.
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!