A new coalition has formed to help hospitals nationwide get access to and promote plant-based diets for patients. The Humane Society of the United States, Oldways, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), Health Care Without Harm and Meatless Monday are working together to help these hospitals’ culinary teams with training, resources and support to increase their plant-based meal offerings.
The Humane Society provides plant-based trainings around the United States, including at 95 health care locations. PCRM has been fundamental in legislation in Washington D.C., California and New York to introduce and require plant-based meals into hospitals. Oldways has made a toolkit for hospitals to use that features recipes tailored to large serving sizes. Meatless Monday is offering hospitals resources that urge patients to cut out meat one day a week for the health of the planet.
The American College of Cardiology says, ” Hospitalization can be a “teachable moment” for patients who are ready to embrace nutrition as part of the healing process. It is important that the hospital food service be ready, too, with food offerings that support a healthful prescription. Healthful foods are also important for staff and visitors and reinforce the ‘culture of health’ recognized as vital in the workplace today.”
Read more about plant-based diets in hospitals, schools and prisons in One Green Planet. Check out these articles:
- DC City Council Introduces Law To Ban Processed Meats like Bacon and Hot Dogs in Hospitals
- Good News! Schools, Hospitals, and Other Institutions Across America Are Going Meatless
- NYC Hospital Fights Chronic Health Problems With Vegan Diets
- All New York State Hospitals Will be Required to Offer Patients Plant-Based Meals
- This Company Wants to Bring Plant-Based Chicken Nuggets to Schools, Cafeterias and Hospitals
- APPROVED! California Legislature Approves Bill Providing Vegan Options in Hospitals and Prisons
- 8 Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Programs
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects. For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Check out the following plant-based health resources:
- Your Ultimate Guide to Weekly Vegan Meal Plans Based on Your Nutritional and Seasonal Needs
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin K
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin E
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin D
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Calcium
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Zinc
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin C
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Magnesium
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: B Vitamins
- Plant-Based Diet and Digestion
- Plant-Based Diet and Gut Health
- Plant-Based Diet and Allergies
- Plant-Based Diet and Heart-Health
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!