Legumes and protein go hand in hand! These wonderful plant-based foods are all part of the same plant family, sharing many of the same rich nutritional benefits, along with high protein content.
For the most part, legumes are “typically low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in folate, potassium, iron, and magnesium.” Plus, they “also contain beneficial fats and soluble and insoluble fiber,” which is great for your gut health and can improve digestion. And, of course, legumes are an incredibly rich source of protein.
Alright, but how do you use legumes in the kitchen? Luckily, we’ve got ya covered! We’ve compiled a list of incredibly versatile, creative, and protein-rich legume-based recipes to get you started.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy! And, don’t forget to check out our Bean Archives!
Source: Corn and Black Bean Chips
To begin the list, we give you super yummy, super nutrient-rich, and super protein-rich! This Corn and Black Bean Chips recipe by Annie Oliverio is not only filled with legumes sourced from black beans, but it’s also nutrient-dense with a combination of plant-based ingredients including flax meal, walnuts, lime, corn, and onion.
This Middle Eastern Lentils and Rice with Crispy Onions recipe by Rouxbe is a protein powerhouse mixing brown lentils and brown rice for a one-two punch.
This Garlicky White Bean Avocado Toast with BBQ Drizzle recipe by Jean Sebestyen truly has it all in a great snack package! Healthy fat from avocado and olive oil, protein from beans and hemp seeds, and a host of flavors from garlic, herbs, and spices!
You may think peas are only a sweet topping, but these little pods are incredibly rich in protein! This Pea Risotto with Roasted Asparagus recipe by Jenny Connelly mixes filling rice, nutritional yeast, flavoring, and peas for a delicious vegan risotto.
Source: Chickpea Brownies
Source: Beluga Lentil Broccoli Salad
Got an instant pot burning a hole in your cabinet? This Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Texas Caviar recipe by I Love My Instant Pot is a great legume-based protein-rich recipe to serve at a social function.
Think you can’t get legumes smuggled into breakfast? This Quinoa Flour, Zucchini, and Pea Pancakes recipe by Gunjan Dudani sources protein from wonderful plant-based quinoa, as well as naturally sweet peas!
Source: White Bean Basil Soup
This White Bean Basil Soup recipe by Sarah Creighton is a super simple recipe that offers it all – legume-rich, high-protein, yet very light. Plus, soups are a great meal to give you that lovely full feeling without overeating.
Source: Stir-Fried Sugar Snap Peas
Source: Kidney Bean and Lentil Curry
Lentils are one of the most common plant-based foods to find alongside curry dishes. This Kidney Bean and Lentil Curry recipe by Maria Koutsogiannis is a wonderful take on traditional curry. Plus, it’s incredibly loaded with powerful protein from both lentils and kidney beans!
Source: Asparagus and Pea Soup
Another soup to round out this wonderful legume-rich, protein-powered list! This Asparagus and Pea Soup recipe by Harriet Emily is incredibly flavorful with onion, garlic, and dried mixed herbs to pair nicely with the neutral asparagus flavor and the sweet pea flavor.
Source: Proper Baked Beans
Alright, you’ve seen complicated, you’ve seen simple, and you’ve seen everything in-between. Let’s end the list with something traditional such as this Proper Baked Beans recipe by Olivia Andrews. Make these baked beans for the week or freeze for a much later date!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some great resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.