Need some comfort food? Try this aromatic kidney bean and lentil curry! It is packed with flavor from the beautiful onion and garlic. Then, it packs punch from the beautiful spices like sweet curry, cumin, and smoked paprika.This hearty curry is perfect for that cold night where you are craving something healthy, but comforting.
Kidney Bean and Lentil Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Curry:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 white onion, medium sized, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger spice
- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon spice
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 15-ounce can red lentils, washed and strained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, washed and strained
- 1 13.66-ounce can coconut milk, save 1/4 cup for the coconut rice
For the Coconut Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice or use what you have
- Water to cover, or as instructed
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (as mentioned above)
- A dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Garnish with fresh cherry tomatoes and cilantro
- Into a medium-sized pot add your rice and hot water. Cook as instructed.
- Into a medium-sized frying pan, add your coconut oil. Let it melt.
- Add your onions and sweat them out (until golden brown) for 7-10 minutes on low heat.
- Add all your spices. Stir well.
- Mix your tomato paste and water in a jar. Add to onion and spice mixture.
- Increase heat and add your beans to the pan. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add your coconut milk and gently stir.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- To your cooked rice add the rest of the ingredients. Stir with fork.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and cilantro.