This quick, easy and delicious vegan risotto that is sure to impress!
Pea Risotto With Roasted Asparagus [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pea Risotto With Roasted Asparagus [Vegan]
For the Risotto:
- 1 small white onion or 1/2 a large onion
- 1/2 tablespoon of vegan butter/spread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 7 ounces of arborio rice
- 500ml of boiling water
- 1 good quality stock cube
- 3 1/2 ounces of frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
For the Asparagus:
- 9 ounces of asparagus
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- A wedge of lemon per portion
- A small handful of rocket (optional)
How to Prepare Pea Risotto With Roasted Asparagus [Vegan]
- Firstly, turn your oven onto 400°F. Then begin to cut the flat ends of your asparagus off, only around 1 inch for each one. Place the asparagus on an oven proof tray and pour your lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil over them, mix well so that they are covered with the mixture. Once the oven is hot enough, cook for around 10 to 15 minutes (you should be able to easily stick a fork through them once cooked).
- While your asparagus is cooking, thinly slice your onion and add to a pan with your garlic and butter – cook on a medium heat for around 2-3 minutes.
- Then add your rice, stock cube, peas, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Then, gradually add your boiling water while stirring all the ingredients together.
- Increase the heat so that the water begins to boil, once it does start to bubble, reduce to a medium to low heat so that it simmers.
- Stir the risotto occasionally, there's no need to constantly stir it. It should take around 10-15 minutes to cook.
- After 10 minutes, try a bit of the rice, if it’s firm but not crunchy/raw (al dente) it’s ready to serve (If your asparagus is cooked/soft, you can turn the oven off and leave them in there to stay warm until you're ready to serve). If your risotto is still quite hard, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Dish out your risotto and then take your asparagus out of the oven and place on top of the risotto. Serve with a wedge of lemon and enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.