This healthy Texas Caviar recipe is perfect to bring to your next party. It's easy to make, but worth the effort to plan ahead so that it can be served chilled. Prepare up to 2 days in advance and store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Texas Caviar is said first to have been served on New Year’s Eve at the Houston Country Club sometime around 1940. Whether celebrating at a Country Club or watching football at your sibling's apartment, this black-eyed pea Texas Caviar is the perfect dish!
Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Texas Caviar [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound cooked corn kernels
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pickled jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Press the Bean button on the Instant Pot™ and add the black-eyed peas and water. Lock the lid into place and cook for the default time of 30 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, allow pressure to release naturally until float valve drops and unlock lid. Drain the peas.
- Transfer the peas to a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to the beans and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate 1–2 hours before serving.