This warm-weather soup is light, simple, and utterly delicious. The base is made from crisp stalks of asparagus and sweet little peas and the other seasoning is simple, with some vegetable stock, mixed herbs, and a generous helping of ground black pepper to finish.
Asparagus and Pea Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12.3 ounces asparagus spears
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 large sticks celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- Salt and a generous amount of pepper, to season
- Chop your asparagus into fifths and finely slice your onions as you like.
- Then, add them to a large pan, on a medium-high heat, with the 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Fry them for 4-5 minutes, stirring to avoid burning.
- Slice your garlic cloves and chop your celery, and add them into the pan to fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- When the onions are golden/translucent, add the peas, water, vegetable stock, mixed herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Reduce this to a medium heat, and allow it to bubble and cook for about 10 minutes.
- When this is done, remove it from the heat (cooling if necessary), and blend before serving – add any extra seasoning if necessary, to suit you. To decorate, you can top the soup with some grilled asparagus, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some pepper to finish.