My roving tastebuds are on a continual quest for yummy, healthy chips – and I think this is my most successful recipe yet. The inspiration comes from a bag of Garden of Eatin’ Black Bean Corn Tortilla Chips but mine are (mostly) raw, contain no oil, and no ingredient shenanigans. The bright flavors of cilantro and lime really bring these chips alive. Being mostly raw and all.
Corn and Black Bean Chips [Vegan]
1 dehydrator sheet
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked for about 8 hours, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup red onion (about 1 thick slice)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Pinch cayenne
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- In a food processor, combine the corn, walnuts, black beans, red onion, garlic, water, and process until smooth. Add the cilantro and pulse a few times. You want to be able to see green flecks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal, sesame seeds, cumin, dried onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, coriander, cayenne, and lime zest and juice. Add the corn/bean mixture and stir very well, making sure there are no lumps of flaxseed.
- Spread the mixture evenly over a dehydrator tray that’s been covered with a non-stick sheet. It should completely fill the tray. Use a rolling pin, if you like, but I find it goes faster if I just pat the mixture into place.
- Turn the dehydrator to 145F and dry for 30 minutes. Remove the sheet from the dehydrator and gently score the dough into desired shapes. Turn the temperature to 115F and dehydrate for about 10 hours. To speed drying, after about 3 hours, place a dehydrator tray fitted with a screen on top of the crackers, flip, peel off the non-stick sheet, and put the tray back into the dehydrator.
- The chips should be very dry, crispy and break apart easily. Store in an airtight container.