These pot pies are just begging to be eaten while you’re all cozied up in a big sweater, knit socks, and wrapped in a blanket. It’s a hearty veggie-filled lentil spicy chili topped with a slightly sweet and fluffy pumpkin cornbread that also happens to be gluten-free.
Lentil Chili Pot Pie With Pumpkin Cornbread Topping [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Chili Pot Pie With Pumpkin Cornbread Topping [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 of each red, green, and yellow peppers, diced
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of cinnamon
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
How to Prepare Lentil Chili Pot Pie With Pumpkin Cornbread Topping [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat a medium pot on the stove over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, cook until fragrant and the onions have begun to soften.
- Add lentils, water, and can of tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover for 10-15 minutes or until it has started thickening and lentils are soft.
- Add the peppers, beans, tomato paste, and spices. Let simmer while the oven heats up and you prepare the cornbread.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- For the cornbread, simply mix ingredients. The dough should be quite thick.
- Scoop the chili into 5 ovenproof dishes and top with a flattened round of cornbread*.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cornbread is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Top with avocado, vegan sour cream, a sprinkle of vegan cheese, or enjoy on its own!
*I had extra cornbread dough so I baked it separately and enjoyed on its own.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 284 | Carbs: 59 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 12 g | Sodium: 205 mg | Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.