Nut-free, soy-free, and dairy-free cheese that slices and grates — amazing! This homemade vegan cheese is so easy to make and is great for a cheese platter, on crackers in a toasted sandwich, or anywhere where you would normally use sliced or grated cheese. Best of all, it is a great option for anybody with food allergies ingredients commonly found in dairy-free cheese. Without nuts and soy-based ingredients, everyone will be able to enjoy this homemade vegan cheese at your next get-together!
Paprika Cheese [Vegan]
For the Cheese:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup sweet potato, steamed until soft
- 1 whole roasted red pepper, marinated in vinegar
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup water extra, for blending
For the Agar Agar Thickener:
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoon agar agar powder
- Firstly, you will need a reasonably powerful blender or food processor to handle the main ingredients
- Add all the cheese ingredients to your blender/processor in order so that there is water at the bottom and top of the ingredient pile. This will help the mixture start to process.
- Blend the ingredients until you have a nice smooth cheesy mixture. Have a quick taste test and add extra spice or salt as required.
- Put the cheese mixture aside for a few minutes while you prepare the agar agar.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add both the water and agar agar powder.
- Bring the mixture to a boil whilst constantly stirring, then turn down the heat to low and keep stirring until the mixture has a thick molasse-like consistency.
- Once the agar agar mixture is ready, quickly transfer it to the cheese mixture in your blender/processor and blend for about 30 seconds to ensure the mixture is homogenous.
- Pour the mixture into your favorite cheese mold (s).
- Settle the mixture in your mold (s) as best you can so that the top surface is as flat as possible. This will help the cheese sit flat when you turn it out. If necessary, use a spatula to spread the cheese mixture.
- Pop your mold (s) into the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes to set then carefully turn out the cheese onto your favorite serving platter.