Funding was sent to 357 labs in 57 countries, including Russia and China, the group reports. This money is taxpayer dollars being used for animal testing.
Rep. Fred Keller (R-PA) said in an emailed statement, “Big government spending is out of control when millions of taxpayer dollars are being sent to dangerous bio-agent labs in China and to other foreign countries to conduct risky experiments, many times harmful trials involving animals. To stop government waste and protect national security, we need answers about why the National Institute of Health is spending our tax dollars on questionable research overseas.”
Funding includes wasteful spending like:
- UK: $1.1M to hook fish on nicotine & ecstasy
- Chile: $900K to get mice drunk in the dark
- Canada: $2.3M to force-feed mice human feces
- Nigeria: $1M to feed pregnant rats high salt diets
Anthony Bellotti, President of the taxpayer watchdog group White Coat Waste Project said of the findings, “It’s indefensible that the NIH is shipping tens of millions of tax dollars overseas to animal testing labs and schools in foreign countries that don’t need our money, like the UK, or shouldn’t get it, like China. From hooking fish on nicotine to manipulating coronaviruses in Wuhan-style gain of function experiments, NIH foreign aid ranges from the dumb to the dangerous. Most U.S. taxpayers don’t want to pay for wasteful government spending like this, and we’ve launched a historic campaign to find, expose, and defund it.”
Animal testing is a useless and unethical part of scientific research, the testing is found to be ineffective, as 95% of drugs that pass animal tests fail on humans. Numerous companies are standing up against animal testing and recently the USDA made a decision to eliminate some mammalian testing by 2025 but there’s more to be done and it’s time countries ban animal experimentation altogether as it hurts humans as well.
Sign this petition to stop animal testing!
- The VA Is Carrying Out Horrific Experiments on Dogs Despite Ongoing Opposition
- Veterans Affairs Under Fire For Spending Over $8 Million in Taxpayer Money on Horrific Cat Experiments for Medical Research
- This International Rabbit Day Pledge to Live Cruelty-Free, End Animal Testing and Support the Humane Cosmetics Act!
- Rand Paul Calls Out Wasteful Spending of U.S. Taxpayer Money on Animal Testing
- Dog Breeders are Selling Unwanted Puppies to Animal Testing Labs
- Various Animal Testing Violations Found at Government Labs
- 5 Extremely Unnecessary and Inhumane Experiments Done on Animals
- 10 Groundbreaking Alternatives to Animal Testing
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!