Neiman Marcus Group announced its intention to go fur-free by early 2023, the company shared in a press release. The famous department store plans to embrace an animal welfare policy and close existing fur salons at Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman stores.
The commitment is part of a broader sustainability strategy by the company.
“We are delivering an ultimate luxury experience for our customers and their evolving preferences. We are updating our assortment to feature multiple sustainable and ethical luxury fashion categories,” said Geoffroy van Raemdonck, Chief Executive Officer, Neiman Marcus Group. “It is clear the future is fur-free, and that includes the ultra-luxury space. As a leader in luxury retail, NMG has an opportunity to help build a better future for our industry. We’re grateful to the Humane Society of the United States for their partnership.”
The company is partnering with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and its animal welfare policy aligns with Fur Free Alliance guidelines. HSUS expressed its support for the company’s commitment.
“We welcome this important policy from Neiman Marcus Group,” said PJ Smith, director of Fashion Policy for the Humane Society of the United States. “The company’s fur-free pledge represents a transformational change in retail, and we applaud NMG for making progress on an issue that so many consumers care deeply about.”
Every year, millions of animals are raised and killed for their fur. The animals at fur farms are kept in tiny cages their entire lives. It’s been proven that the mental health of animals on fur farms, like all captive animals, suffers greatly. The pace and self-mutilate. Then, they are killed in gruesome ways like gassing, bludgeoning, and electrocution. Fashion houses Stella McCartney, Gucci, Versace, and Giorgio Armani do not use fur or have announced they will stop using fur in the production of their clothing. We hope other cities, states, and countries follow suit!
Sign this petition to End the Chinchilla Fur Trade in the U.S. and E.U.
- States Introduce Fur Ban Legislation to Fight COVID-19 and Animal Cruelty
- 10 Adorable Minks That Will Convince You to Go Fur-Free!
- Shocking New Footage of Animals Suffering on a Polish Fur Farm
- Here are the Innocent Faces of the Cruel Fur Industry
- Mink on Wisconsin Fur Farm Test Positive for COVID-19
- Victory! World’s Largest Fur Auction House to Close
- Disturbing Footage Described as “Scene From Hell” of Animals Suffering at a Fox Fur Farm
- Need Another Reason to Stop Buying Fur? Watch this Sad Footage of Mink Attacking Each Other at a Lithuanian Fur Farm
- Saks Fifth Avenue Goes Fur Free
- Dutch Fur Farms Have Killed A Million Mink During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Hungary Bans Fur Farming
- New Undercover Investigation Shows How Baby Foxes Are Raised For Their Fur (VIDEO)
- Mink Rescued From Fur Farm Experiences Water for the First Time (VIDEO)
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!