Daily shows will be removed and “underwater viewing opportunities” will take place instead. Leo Kung, Chairman of Ocean Park said, ” Under the new plan, the Ocean Wonder show will cease.” But the park will let visitors feed and pose with dolphins in the water.
Dolphins in captivity subject to stressful human interactions cause them physical and mental suffering. Dolphins in parks are confined to small tanks, which increase aggression and reduce necessary mental stimulation. Vice President of PETA Jason Baker said in a statement, ” Ocean Park’s decision to end its dolphin shows but to keep the animals as a tourist gimmick is a missed ethical and financial opportunity.”
A Hong Kong animal rights organization Animal Rights Education, asked the park to phase out marine animal captivity. The park keeps 7,600 animals, including 63 marine mammals. According to the South China Post, the park has been struggling financially since the pro-democracy protests in the area last summer.
Read more about dolphins in captivity in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Are Captive Dolphins Really ‘Happy’? A Look Into the Daily Lives of Dolphins at the Duisburg Zoo
- Top 5 Countries with the Most Captive Dolphins
- Depressed Captive Dolphin Repeatedly Slams his Head Against Tank in Aquarium in Singapore
- The Dark Truth Behind the Dolphin Entertainment Industry
- Canada Passes Bill to Make Whale and Dolphin Captivity Illegal!
Here are more articles on how animals are abused for entertainment in general and why this is extremely inhumane:
- Kendall Jenner Kneeling on Back of Horse for Halloween Fashion Photo is Disgraceful
- Jason Momoa Recklessly Feeds Cookie to a Bear from his Mouth as Publicity Stunt to Promote Movie
- The Do’s and Don’ts: Your Handy Guide To Animal Entertainment
- Horrifying Video of Monkey Dressed Like a Little Girl and Begging Shows Why Animals Don’t Belong as Entertainment
- Animals Who Escaped Captivity and What They Teach Us About the Consequences of Entertainment
- BREAKING: Los Angeles Bans Use of Wild Animals for Entertainment!
- How We’ve Manipulated Animals for Entertainment
- Empty the Cages! How We’re Fighting for the Freedom of Animals Used for Entertainment
- Booking.com No Longer Sells Tickets to Captive Animal Attractions!
- Champion Horse Trainer Charged With Animal Cruelty Shows Horse Racing is Indeed a Cruel Sport
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!