Surviving Thanksgiving dinner when you’re trying to eat plant-based can be tough. Traditional Thanksgiving dishes, even veggie-based dishes like our beloved mashed potatoes, are typically loaded with meat and dairy products. However, if you bring your own hearty side dish to the table, you have something to eat and pass around.
While we love nothing more than a big plate of mashed potatoes, why not try putting a new spin on the classic dish this year?
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App – with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy!
Also, don’t forget to check out our ultimate guide to plant-based recipes for Thanksgiving!
Here are 15 tasty, vegan mashed vegetable recipes that are loaded with seasonal flavors!
1. Sweet Potato Mash With Cashew Cream
Source: Sweet Potato Mash
This simple Sweet Potato Mash by Bianca the Green Creator has the deep flavors of roasted sweet potato, onion, and a whole head of garlic. The cashew cream makes this dish feel like a guilty pleasure, with its unsurpassed creaminess.
2. Slow Cooker Rosemary Carrot Parsnip Mash
Source: Rosemary Carrot Parsnip Mash
This Rosemary Carrot Parsnip Mash by Lindsay Cotter makes a great alternative for those who eat vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, or paleo. The nutty flavor of the root vegetables mixed with the creamy almond milk and coconut cream creates a satisfying dish to add to any menu. This is an easy-to-make, comfort-food-style dish that is perfect for any family party.
Get the FALL Cookbook!
3. Mashed Cauliflower Green Bean Casserole
This is a dish for everyone — even the pickiest of eaters. Fresh green beans are tossed with coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and onion, all topped with a creamy layer of cauliflower mash plus a crunchy, garlicky bread crumb topping. It’s comforting, warming, creamy, and cheesy. In short, this Mashed Cauliflower Green Bean Casserole by Florian Nouh is comfort food approved. Plus, since it’s prepared with minimal ingredients in just 35 minutes, you just can’t go wrong.
4. Hearty Lentil, Mushroom, And Barley Mash
This mash will do the trick if you need to warm up – comfort food at its tastiest, folks. This Hearty Lentil, Mushroom, And Barley Mash by Bianca Scartabello is incredibly delicious and filling. If you are a mushroom fan, this recipe is dedicated to you. It is full of flavor and it takes under a half hour to make!
5. South Indian Mashed Pumpkin
Source: South Indian Mashed Pumpkin
In this South Indian Mashed Pumpkin by Preeti Tamilarasan, yellow pumpkin is cooked until tender in a pot tempered with curry leaves and spicy mustard seeds. As it cooks, onions, spicy chilis, and turmeric are added to the pot and cooked until the pumpkin is tender enough to be mashed.
6. Sweet Potato Mash With Maple-Pecans Topping
In this recipe, the flavors of roasted Brussels sprouts and maple pecans pair perfectly with creamy mashed sweet potato. This Sweet Potato Mash With Maple-Pecan Topping by Sonja Trurnit is warm, comforting, and earthy, yet so simple to make. The taste of each component on its own is delicious enough, but when combined, it becomes something special.
7. Lentil, Sweet Potato, And Carrot Mash
If you haven’t cooked with lentils before, this is a great place to start! This Lentil, Sweet Potato, And Carrot Mash by Renee Sexton is super easy to make, really hearty, and beautiful on top of the bright orange mash. Top the whole thing off with some coconut yogurt and avocado and enjoy!
8. Perfect Pea Mash
Source: Perfect Pea Mash
This Perfect Pea Mash by Rebecca Leffler may just make you sing. Serve this purée as a side dish, as a spread on toast or crackers, atop a salad, or as a creamy pesto over other vegetables. This is a unique and simple dish to jazz up your table.
9. Celery Root, Pumpkin, And Carrot Mash
A mix of root veggies creates a wonderful little side dish that pairs well with practically anything! This Celery Root, Pumpkin, And Carrot Mash by Judy Moosmueller brings traditional seasonal flavors to the next level!
10. Lentils Over White Bean Mash
Source: Lentils Over White Bean Mash
If you’re looking for a versatile recipe that’s packed with protein, look no further than these Lentils Over White Bean Mash by Christina Barmakian. A heart stew made from lentils, mushrooms, carrots, and spices is served on top of a filling mash made from white beans and creamy Yukon Gold potatoes. Serve this with a side salad or some vegetables with crusty bread and you have yourself a hearty meal.
11. Mashed Casserole With Broccoli And Cauliflower Gravy
This Casserole by Jennifer Harmon has a layer of mashed potatoes, then a layer of cauliflower gravy, then a final layer of minced broccoli. The mashed potato layer has an undetectable can of white beans mixed in for protein. The gravy is made of puréed cauliflower as well as mushrooms. This ultimate comfort food of a casserole is creamy, dreamy, and a must-make for dinner.
12. Mashed Sweet Potatoes With Apples And Bourbon
This is a simple but delicious twist on regular old mashed sweet potatoes. The small amount of bourbon gives them a kick, but the cinnamon and brown sugar will make these sweet ‘taters appealing to the more traditional types at your Thanksgiving table. Bring these Mashed Sweet Potatoes With Apples And Bourbon by Cathy Elton to dinner and your company might not even realize they’re eating way less sugar and fat than usual!
13. Potato and Celery Root Mash
Source: Potato Celery Root Mash
The typical holiday mashed potato recipe contains nearly a stick of butter. But of course, you can make great mashed potatoes without any dairy at all. The celery root in this Potato Celery Root Mash by Cathy Elton gives the dish a buttery flavor that is just as good as the real thing.
14. Fennel and Carrot Mash
Source: Fennel And Carrot Mash
This rich and creamy Fennel And Carrot Mash by Rachel Hanawalt is the perfect recipe to add to your Thanksgiving table! Chopped carrots and fennel are blended, along with creamy coconut milk, olive oil, and a bit of lemon.
15. Macrobiotic Millet Cauliflower Mash With Shiitake Gravy
Millet with cauliflower, a classic macrobiotic dish, cooks up soft and creamy and even tastes like mashed potatoes. The Shiitake gravy makes it especially tasty. This Macrobiotic Millet Cauliflower Mash With Shiitake Gravy from The One Peaceful World Cookbook is a delicious and hearty dish that will keep everyone wanting seconds.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.