This is definitely a dish for everyone — even the pickiest of eaters. Fresh green beans are tossed with coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and onion, all topped with a creamy layer of cauliflower mash plus a crunchy, garlicky bread crumb topping. It's comforting, warming, creamy, and cheesy. In short, it's comfort food approved and since it's prepared with minimal ingredients in just 35 minutes, you just can't go wrong.
Mashed Cauliflower Green Bean Casserole [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Casserole:
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cauliflower
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 14 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1 onion, diced
For the Topping:
- 2 handful of gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
To Make the Casserole:
- Cook cauliflower florets in a steamer in the microwave for around 8 minutes. Or just cook them on the stove, which might take a bit longer. Heat a skillet with a bit of oil or just with vegetable broth, that's up to you. Add onions and green beans and cook them.
- When the cauliflower is done, give it into a bowl of a blender or food processor, add coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and season with salt and pepper. Then blend until really creamy and smooth. Don’t worry if you don’t own a blender or food processor you can do it with a potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 405°F.
To Make the Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with a tablespoon of olive oil and one crushed clove of garlic.
- Last, assembling is an easy play as always: start with the green bean mix, followed by the mashed cauliflower, and end with the topping. Bake for around 15 minutes.