If you're looking for a versatile recipe that's packed with protein, look no further than these lentils with white bean and potato mash. A heart stew made from lentils, mushrooms, carrots, and spices is served on top of a filling mash made from white beans and creamy Yukon Gold potatoes. Serve this with a side salad or some vegetables with crusty bread and you have yourself a hearty meal.
Lentils With White Bean and Potato Mash [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 pints white button mushrooms
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup dried white beans
- 5 Yukon gold potatoes peeled
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder, garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Cook 1 cup lentils in 2 cups water on low heat until water is dissolved. Do not move on to step one until lentils are cooked. Set aside. (If using dried white beans as I did you’ll want to start boiling those 2 hours before you plan on cooking.) You want to get the potatoes on the stove at the same time you’re cooking your lentils.
- Heat dutch oven or heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add two teaspoons of olive oil or water if you water sauté.
- Once hot add in veggies (onions, carrots, mushroom) with seasonings (all except bay leaves and SALT!) Saute until soft about 7 minutes.
- Add in garlic and arrowroot powder and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in wine and simmer for three minutes. Add in veggie broth and salt and pepper to taste. Add in two bay leaves and lower heat to a simmer. Taste for seasoning and adjust according to your taste!
- Add lentils and cover.
- Add peeled yukon gold potatoes to the boiling white beans and let cook forty-five minutes .Add a generous pinch of salt to the cooking water.
- Once potatoes are soft drain and toss in blender or food processor. Let them sit there unblended while you sauté the onions and garlic in the same pot with olive oil and seasonings. No sense in getting another pan dirty friends!
- Add sautéed onions and garlic to the food processor and blend until creamy. Salt and pepper and add back to pot and keep on low. until ready to serve.
- In a bowl spoon bean-potato mash and pour lentil roast over top. Serve with whole wheat crusty bread. Enjoy!