Still thawing out over here in New England. This mash did the trick – comfort food at its tastiest, folks. I can’t begin to tell you how incredibly delicious and hearty this quick dish is. If you are a mushroom fan, this recipe is dedicated to you, baby. There are a few parts to this recipe, but trust me – it takes under a half hour!
Hearty Lentil, Mushroom and Barley Mash [Vegan]
- 2 cups lentils, prepared according to package
- 1/2 cup barley, prepared according to package
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- Cook lentils and barley in separate pots, according to package instructions.
- While lentils and barley are cooking, prep all veggies. Sauté in olive oil over medium heat. Cook until tender.
- Once lentils are done, take 1/2 cup out and put in a blender. Add 1/3 cup water and blend until smooth. Creamy dreamy, right? Set aside.
- Add cooked veggies to pot of cooked lentils and mix well. Season with garlic salt, onion powder, celery salt, salt, and pepper.
- Last but not least, stir in the lentil mash. Done!