Calling all lemon lovers! This amazing vegan lemon curd is so good and so easy to make, you'll be licking the bowl clean before you know it! This isn't a time-consuming recipe, but the hardest part about making the curd is making sure the cornstarch doesn’t clump up and make these weird, clear jelly things you totally don’t want in your curd. The trick is to whisk the mixture constantly as you are cooking the mixture and making sure any chunks of cornstarch get broken up right away. If for some reason you do get those weird chunks going on, transfer the curd mixture into a blender, smooth is out, and return to the heat. It's as easy as lemon meringue pie! Use this lemon curd in your favorite dessert or to top the perfect vegan biscuits.
Homemade Lemon Curd [Vegan]
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- Juice and zest of 3 lemons
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, and juice/zest of the lemons.
- Transfer to a saucepan over medium high heat and whisk in the cornstarch. Cook, whisking constantly over heat for 5-7 minutes. The mixture should remain smooth and start to thicken.
- After mixture has thickened, turn off heat and mix in the extract. Allow to cool to room temperature before storing in fridge.