This casserole has a layer of mashed potatoes, then a layer of cauliflower gravy, then a final layer of minced broccoli. The mashed potato layer has an undetectable can of white beans mixed in for protein. The gravy is made of puréed cauliflower as well as mushrooms. This ultimate comfort food of a casserole is creamy, dreamy, and a must-make for dinner.
Mashed Potato Casserole With Broccoli and Cauliflower Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 15 small Russet potatoes (or 7-8 large ones)
- 1 14-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the Gravy:
- 6 ounces baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the Broccoli:
- 2 12-ounce bags of frozen broccoli
- 1-2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Start by dicing your potatoes, with skin on, into even pieces. Place in large pot on stove and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Once you place potatoes to boil, cut your cauliflower into chunks and place in a large saucepan, covered with water, to boil for 10 minutes.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Once cauliflower is done (check it by placing fork in it, should be very tender). Drain. Pour into high-powered blender along with 1 cup of non-dairy milk. Blend until completely smooth.
- Place blended cauliflower back on stove in the same saucepan on low-medium heat. Add mushrooms, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the garlic into saucepan as well. Stir to combine. allow to cook for about 5 minutes to make the mushrooms slightly tender.
- While cauliflower gravy is cooking, drain your boiled potatoes. Leave them for a moment.
- Add your beans and 1/2 cup milk into high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour bean mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add drained potatoes, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1 tablespoon salt to large bowl as well.
- Beat potatoes with hand mixer (or by hand) until all potato ingredients are fully incorporated. Should be thick but creamy potatoes. Taste to see if need more salt, or add more milk if too thick.
- At this point, you should steam your broccoli, mine was able to be steamed in the bag, but you can do it however you please.
- Mash the potatoes into the bottom of a large casserole dish, smooth it as evenly as possible.
- Top with your cauliflower gravy mixture.
- Once broccoli is steam, and has cooled enough to touch, cut broccoli into very small pieces, almost minced. Sprinkle broccoli on top of the gravy layer. Add a bit of the cajun seasoning to the top of the broccoli.
- Place completed dish in oven for 25 minutes at 350°F.