One of my favorite spring sports is . . . shelling peas! This may not strike you as a particularly athletic endeavor, but I find it to be both relaxing and rewarding. There is nothing like cracking open those first pea pods of spring and savoring the crunchy, fresh flavors of the tiny pearls inside. When I was a little girl, I used to hum while eating peas and, I confess, I still do! This perfect pea purée may just make you sing, too. Serve this purée as a side dish, as a spread on toast or crackers, atop a salad, or as a creamy pesto for pasta or grains. It’s un-pea-lieveable! If you don’t share my enthusiasm for shelling peas, feel free to substitute thawed frozen peas here. Finally—whirled peas!
Inner Peas: Perfect Pea Purée [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Inner Peas: Perfect Pea Purée [Vegan]
- 1 cup shelled peas (thawed, if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- Pinch of cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Prepare Inner Peas: Perfect Pea Purée [Vegan]
- Steam the peas for 1 minute only! Vegetables that are al dente keep their nutrients intact. (Plus, who likes mushy, wrinkled peas?) Immediately place the peas under cold running water to stop the cooking. If desired, reserve some of the cooled peas for mixing in just before serving (this makes for a coarser texture with some crunch).
- Add the rest of the peas and the tahini, lemon juice and zest, garlic, cumin, and mint to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you make the purée with frozen peas, you may wish to add a handful of fresh peas at the end. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe from Très Green, Très Clean, Très Chic: Eat (and Live!) the New French Way with Plant-Based, Gluten-Free Recipes for Every Season, copyright © Rebecca Leffler, 2015. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com. Images by Sandra Mahut.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 100 | Carbs: 15 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 8 g | Sodium: 18 mg | Sugar: 5 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.