Not sure how to incorporate fennel into your kitchen? This rich and creamy purée is the perfect recipe to start with! Chopped carrots and fennel are blended together, along with creamy coconut milk, olive oil, and a bit of lemon. Use this purée as a dip or slather it on some toast or veggies.
Fennel and Carrot Purée [Vegan]
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Combine the carrots, fennel, yellow onion, thyme, and olive oil in a pan and cook over medium heat until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Next, season with salt and pepper and remove the thyme sprigs. Add 3 cups of vegetable broth to the pan and cook down by 3/4 over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes. The vegetables are done cooking once the carrots fall apart when squished with a fork.
- Ladle the contents of the pan into a medium-sized sauce pan. Purée with a hand blender until smooth and then reheat. Remove from the heat and blend in the vegan creme fraiche, coconut milk, and lemon.
- Heat on low prior to serving.